Tranny Question

I have a 2000 yz426f and my 3rd gear is now skipping. I have called around to a few places and the ball park estimates are around $1500 to fix this, provided nothing else should be replaced. Does this price seem right?

I street legalized it a couple years back and am wondering what it would be worth right now, without fixing it because I can not come up with that kind of cash. The thing does not have that many hours on it and only about 20 hours on the street. As far as I am concerned, the thing is perfect except for the gear problem.

What are some thoughts on this?

Thanks,

benny_d

The gear itself is cheap but a lot of parts could have been affected. YOur quote sounds like a lot. I would go to a local MX race and ask around to find a guy who does this kind of work.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, open up your manual and go at it yourself. You will likely need 3rd, 5th gear and the shift fork between them + a gasket kit. Looking ballpark around $350 in parts if you do it yourself. Its really not that hard... just time consuming. Only special tools you really need is a good torque wrench and maybe a feeler guage to check the valves on re-assembly.

The bulk of the estimate is for labor. It involves removing the engine and completely disassembling it.