Beefing up a$$ end of a 650-R

I am finally real close to my 650R purchase. I plan on plating and doing some dual-sportin / supermoto with it. I have read about the back side not being real condusive to carring anything heavier than a tool kit in the baggie behind the seat.

Has anyone made or fabricated something to strengthen it up? PIC's please.

Is there anything factory or aftermarket made for this?

Has anyone added rear pegs on a "R" ? I realize it is a one-man bike but my daughter loves bikes and I know she'll want to go for rides... :devil:

Thanks.... PIP

Though I'm not adressing your questions specifically I am once again on my soap box about the necessity of upgrading the stock stator for more output. I purchased by XRR already dual sported with the BD kit. This system depends too heavily on the output of the accessory battery. This works fine for brief use on public roads between trails but is not acceptable for regular use on public roads. You need a 55/60 watt bulb to safely ride at night & the stock stator simply will not power one, even with a good battery for more than a few miles. Either rewind your stocker for a total cost of less than $30 or buy one of several available through the aftermarket for around $150. If you wish do DIY the stator look for the thread titled "DIY stator rewind" on this forum. Though I started it all the information comes from Snaggle. He deserves credit for all the info. Thanks again Snaggle.

Yes, that is on my "to do list" toward the top, but I am speaking of the sub frame. I want to beef it up for carrng some gear with me.

I need ideas. I do not mind fabricating something but I could use some ideas how others did it.

PIP

There are two current off-the-shelf options I am aware of for XR650R luggage racks:

1. The SRC Luggage rack ($195). This option also requires that you first buy and install their brace($67). Total cost is then $262.

2. The ProMoto rack. Cost is $184.

Or, you can do a combination, roll-your-own design, like Steve did, at XRDualSport.com, though he'll be the first to say it cost him a fortune.

I cannot speak with any authority on either system or their strength or merits, because I have only recently had any interest in adding 650R luggage capability to my R. But it seems to me that the design of the ProMoto (at least from the photos) is a bit better/stronger. Again, "It seems to me..." that looking at the 4-bolt design of the SRC mounting, there would be a greater torque-moment applied to the upper two bolts that go into the existing sub-frame, and that attach point would therefore be a point of failure.

The ProMoto instead attaches using both the existing seat-bolts and a small sub-frame extension. Seems like this design would be a bit stronger. [some engineer-type can tell me :devil: I don't know what-the-hey I'm talking about, but that's my two cents.] Not to mention that the ProMoto rack is 80 bucks cheaper...

I have read/heard no feedback on the ProMoto, but have read that the SRC is prone to failure if loaded and ridden hard. I think with either option the trick to longevity would be to carry any significant weight as far forward (up next to you butt) as possible.

In any case I am very interested in adding luggage / panniers in the near future so let us know what you finally decide.

Good luck and Ride safe.

I have the Baja Designs pegs on the back. It was pretty easy to put them on. There are a few quirks with the detent system not releasing well when you want to fold the pegs up/down, but they seem pretty good. My pegs are screwed in from a center screw. My buddy bought the new BD pegs and they have a set screw on the side of the peg to keep them from rotating. Make sure to take out the set screw and put a dab of Loctite on there before you go out.

As for riding - My girlfriend weighs about 140-150 with all the gear on and backpack (2L water, tools, .5 gal gas, food) and I weigh about 190 with all my gear. We started riding two-up this year and hit some minor jumps. So far, no trouble with the sub frame, although she landed on the fender for one of the jumps and the tire tore out all the tail light/blinker wires for my dual sport kit when the suspension bottomed out. I have upgraded eibach springs setup for 220lb rider.

One more quirk is that you have to fold up the right passenger peg to kick-start the bike.

Gaspipe over on the ADVRider forum is working on a "product" that will fix the rear frame load carrying issues. He's a welder by trade and got tired of the weak rear. He recently posted that he has a prototype on his spare XRR right now. I'd expect him to have something for sale by spring if he should decide to make a batch.

this thread also has some good info on the subject, especially past page 8

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128707&page=10

As for riding - My girlfriend weighs about 140-150 with all the gear on and backpack (2L water, tools, .5 gal gas, food) and I weigh about 190 with all my gear. We started riding two-up this year and hit some minor jumps. So far, no trouble with the sub frame, although she landed on the fender for one of the jumps and the tire tore out all the tail light/blinker wires for my dual sport kit when the suspension bottomed out. I have upgraded eibach springs setup for 220lb rider.

Very cool that the R will handle that much weight (190+150) regularly. Wow! Did you have ath 220lb Eibach spring installed when you bottomed, or added it later?

Though I'm not adressing your questions specifically I am once again on my soap box about the necessity of upgrading the stock stator for more output. I purchased by XRR already dual sported with the BD kit. This system depends too heavily on the output of the accessory battery. This works fine for brief use on public roads between trails but is not acceptable for regular use on public roads. You need a 55/60 watt bulb to safely ride at night & the stock stator simply will not power one, even with a good battery for more than a few miles. Either rewind your stocker for a total cost of less than $30 or buy one of several available through the aftermarket for around $150. If you wish do DIY the stator look for the thread titled "DIY stator rewind" on this forum. Though I started it all the information comes from Snaggle. He deserves credit for all the info. Thanks again Snaggle.

Don't know why you keep beating this horse. :devil:

My STOCK stator does JUST FINE and has been ALL THIS YEAR despite my using the headlight AT ALL TIMES! (legal requirement here).

OBVIOUSLY you had a BATTERY problem. Let it go!

My STOCK stator does JUST FINE and has been ALL THIS YEAR despite my using the headlight AT ALL TIMES! (legal requirement here). BD kit with a 55/60 that is plenty bright. No battery problems.

Seems like you had a different problem.

Internal Cumbustion: Thanks for all the info. I to like the ProMoto rack (at least from the pictures) I just have to FIRST.......... Get the bike ? .

(I planned to pick it up yesterday but the wife and I had bad news about an adoption we were looking into ? . She was pretty bummed. I did not feel good about saying, "I know this is bad news and we are all bummed about it but, I am off to buy a new bike now") Used my better judgement and hung out with er' for the day.

Thanks all for the info. :devil:

I have the ProMoto rack and it does fine with light loads - one of the bolts going into the subframe snapped. A bigger bolt has fixed the problem so far.

The rack is not compatable with the DirtBagz panniers, because the frame bolts into the subframe as well. The panniers work well , because they carry the weight more forward and lower. Check their website.

The subframe has to be reinforced to carry more weight - lots of info on ADVRider.

The BD rear pegs work for a short person since they are quite high up.

If you do any night riding you have to rewind or up your stator! :devil:

As for the subframe I remember seeing that the Australian version has a factory rack that looks pretty beefy. Probably a pain to have imported but I do remember an Aussie on this form willing to price check it there & pass the info on. As for the controversy of to or not to upgrade your stator I can only say that you should not operate a vehicle on public roads that depends on a battery to operate safety equipment at night. With the upgrade your system works independent of the battery if the engine is running, even at idle. Then the battery really is only needed to pass inspection in some states where the headlight must remain lit with the engine off for a designated amount of time. Sorry to hear about your bad news. We lost out on a chance at an adoption about 3 yrs ago but since have adopted 2 great kids ages 4 & 1. Quite a blessing. Don't give up. God willing another child will come along who will bless your family.

(I planned to pick it up yesterday but the wife and I had bad news about an adoption we were looking into :devil: . She was pretty bummed. I did not feel good about saying, "I know this is bad news and we are all bummed about it but, I am off to buy a new bike now") Used my better judgement and hung out with er' for the day.

(Forgive me, all, I am going off-topic for one post.) Hey, Dude, you just got my vote. You did the right thing (but you already knew that). Isn't it amazing how easy it is to get our priorities screwed up? Or, to get them right?

Anyway, bravo, you did good to hang out with her yesterday. Like hypersthenos said, God-willing another child will come along soon. Next adoption opportunity comes along, maybe PM some of us and let us know what we can pray for.

(Forgive me, all, I am going off-topic for one post.) Hey, Dude, you just got my vote. You did the right thing (but you already knew that). Isn't it amazing how easy it is to get our priorities screwed up? Or, to get them right?

Anyway, bravo, you did good to hang out with her yesterday. Like hypersthenos said, God-willing another child will come along soon. Next adoption opportunity comes along, maybe PM some of us and let us know what we can pray for.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. :devil: Actually we got a call from an adoption agency YESTERDAY about a different situation. They were asking alot of questions but not admitting that we are closer to another baby. But we have not heard from this agency in a few months so I am guessing that some interest in us has been requested. (I hope).

This is why I am proud to tell people "I am a biker" weather it be a true dirty off roader or a leather clad streeter. TRUE bikers (not squidly ones) are nice people. I don't know you guys from the man on the moon and some of yinz' have posted encouragement / prayers. THANKS!!!! Heck I have even used it for a selling tool with my wife on my future 650-R. ?

We shall now return to the previous programming............

I was hanging with my daughter yesterday and we did the usual............. Go to the bikeshop and jump on all the bikes.......... (she loves it). They had a 07 650-L on the floor. I was looking underneath the a$$ end and see that they have what looks like a bolt on extention to the rear that makes up the rear subframe. Wonder if that would work on an R???

Bike update-------- AS you have read I was planning on a purchase last Tuesday until bad news arrived. I spoke to the guy that night and told him that I did not know when I could come for it. He said, that's fine I will hold on to it for another month or so if need be. Then he was asking me if the price was ok? To sweeten the deal he ask me if I had / needed riding gear? Come to find out he bought all new gear 2 years ago, it is all my size and he is throwing it all in with the deal. ? I told the wife, "I cannot say NO now"

PIP

Sounds like you've found a great deal. I'm sorry to be returing to the other subject but you didn't happen to be dealing with an adoption from India did you? That's what we did which failed. We did actually end up "donating" 13 grand to an agency in Florida. They're still under investigation. Sorry to be off the topic again.

Re being a "biker", there's good ones and bad, pretty much like all things. But I think you're right: most bikers (dirt or street) tend to be decent. A lot of them have tattoos and earrings and look "mean" (not sure why we do that) but when the chips are down you can generally count on a biker to give you his (or her) last dollar.

Anyway, glad to hear you've got some more activity on the adoption end. I agree with you also, re hanging with your daughter at the bike shop. Few things are better than sharing hobbies with your kids. All our kids are grown with kids of their own. Between the wife and our 4 kids there are 9 bikes among us. Everyone has taken the MSF course as well (in 3 different states!).

Re the 650L subframe I doubt it will fit the R, without some serious mods. The 650R pilots over in advrider seem to be making progress on the 650R's subframe beef-up. I am going to watch that thread (project XR650R) for a couple of weeks before I do anything. Also my son (TT "SonOfCombustion") has put his engineering mind to coming up with his own subframe solution for his R. My guess is by the time you're ready for your subframe upgrade there'll be some more options besides SRC and ProMoto. If I had to pull the trigger on a luggage option today I'd probably go with ProMoto.

My STOCK stator does JUST FINE and has been ALL THIS YEAR despite my using the headlight AT ALL TIMES! (legal requirement here).

OBVIOUSLY you had a BATTERY problem. Let it go!

Did you buy your bike used? It must have a rewound stator. I have talked to may with the same situation as me. With a new battery, and 35w headlight the battery dischages within 10-25min. The 650r definetly needs a stator upgrade if you have a bd kit as well as a upgraded headlight.