HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goosedog

Fuel screw o-ring

6 posts in this topic

As my search for ways dirt is getting into my carb I looked thru the owners manual tonight for things in the carburator diagram that I might have missed. The picture of the fuel screw shows a spring, small washer and finally a tiny o-ring on the needle end of the screw.

I had installed a Zip-Ty fuel screw a few months back and might have lost that o-ring on the end because I didn't remember one there and I just backed it out to check and there's only the spring and washer. Could that missing o-ring be letting in enough grit to keep fouling my jetts?

Goosedog, The o-ring may still be in the opening. Try looking up in there, and if so use a DULL pick tool to pull it out. It will not foul up your jets but will allow additional air in the slow curcuit, causing a mild lean issue.

2 ways dirt gets into the carb. 1. Crap in the gas. 2. Its sucking it in thru the air filter.

Are you 100% sure it's dirt? Could it be that your air filter is disintegrating and that's what you are finding?

Are you 100% sure it's dirt? Could it be that your air filter is disintegrating and that's what you are finding?

Yeah, It's hard and gritty...definately not foam pieces.

Hmmm...I'm going to assume that you checked all the obvious things off the list like:

-filter grease on the filter/airbox mating surface

-ensured that the filter has a tight fit around the filter cage where the mounting screw goes in and are using the washer.

-refueling container is clean

-fuel tank is clean. Can you see to the bottom...probably not, did you pull it off and make sure it is spotless?

-is your airbox clean? Could you be knocking dirt in when pulling the airfilter?

Have you tried a fuel filter to see if anything gets picked up from the tank?