Swingarm bearing grease

A friend of mine mentioned that I should check the swingarm bearings on my 05 WR450. I was shocked at the shape they were in (I recently bought the bike used). Even with the shock disconnected, the swingarm could barely move. One set was a just a mass of dried out grease and rust. Only the ones in the main swingarm pivot actually could move. I know this is coverd in the archives, but somehow it should be mentioned periodically or put in a sticky with other items "What every WR owner should know".

Where can I purchase replacement bearings?

Paul

I was about to check my 05 wr

but the manual says it does not require maintenace

the bearings are sealed

anyone else read this?

:devil:

Lies!!! Take it apart and you'll see what they mean by "sealed". There's this viscoelastic stuff in there that is packed around the needle bearing, and it's supposed to never need greasing...pure crap! It's supposed to be the same way in the shock linkage...more BS. In my '05, I had a combination of both viscoelastic and free needle bearing packed in grease, very little grease. Get yourself a dental pick and get all that crap out of there. Save the bearings, get some good waterproof grease, Bel-Ray worked well for me, and repack everything. Your linkage and swingarm will thank you...SC

Don't screw around with those steering head bearings. WR's with oil in the frame heat the head bearing much more than on other bikes and it needs more frequent servicing. I just replaced mine and it was a bit of a PITA.