New WR 450...........

A buddy just bought one. Anything special he should know about this machine??? Does it have any weird quirks or anything???

I'm not sure whether he will be the most diligent guy in terms of maintenance. How much neglect can this bike take???

Does your pal have a computer? If so, direct him to this site. Frequent oil changes and annual valve checks are necessary. If he's a knucklehead in the garage, tell him to sell it and get an XR. These bikes are durable, but they still need some regular maintenance...SC

Does your pal have a computer? If so, direct him to this site. Frequent oil changes and annual valve checks are necessary. If he's a knucklehead in the garage, tell him to sell it and get an XR. These bikes are durable, but they still need some regular maintenance...SC

Yearly valve check?

I just bought one and was told after 500 miles, (break in) check valve clearances...Is this nessecary? I'm really good on cleaning my air filters/oil changes..

Yearly valve check?

I just bought one and was told after 500 miles, (break in) check valve clearances...Is this nessecary? I'm really good on cleaning my air filters/oil changes..

Yes, check your valves at break-in. You will most likely have to shim a couple initially. After that, you can do it annually unless you're racing or having starting difficulty...SC

I just checked my valves for the first time. Checking is fairly easy providing you have a narrower set of feeler gauges (craftsman), adjusting them appears to be a lot more involved.

Paul

I just got my new 2005 WR450F this weekend. It is technically more demanding than my other bikes: TTR250 and XR650L. Great bikes. And very easy in maintenance.

My question: After breaking in the bike, I changed oil. I don't understand the manual totally. It says to use SG motoroil, but not CD. I always use Shell Helix super motoroil, 20W50 SG/CD and it works fine with the other motors. Is this ok for the WR450F?

Other questions: can I use the same oilfilters I use for the 250TTR with the WR450F?

Is the maintenance schedule for the WR450F necessary when I use the motor primarily for rides of 1 to 3 hours, at non racing speed. I live in Burkina, it is hot here. I make about 3000 to 4000 km a year on the bike.

Thanks for your help,

Koenbobo

Some good basic oil info: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Thanks for the replies. It's not that he isn't mechanically inclined, just really busy with other things, and therefore not likely to be really diligent about maintenance. I'll try to keep him on the straight and narrow!

Clark,

My new 07 is supposed to be in this week. Where do you get a shim assortment? I assume that is how you do this right.

Pardon my ignorance, I've been just adjusting tappets on my KTM for the past 4 years.