HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MAC 450

Choosing an Exhaust

11 posts in this topic

I just bought a new WR450..all stock..in process of doing all mods to unleash the power...I have a question, I need a spark arrester on the bike and for it to pass sound test..

Do I just buy the $60 pro motion insert? Or go with a new sparky ($300+)?

The insert claims 6.3 hp gain...how much more gain will I get if I buy an

FMF Q w/sparky?

Thanks, but maybe I should re-phrase my question...

Who here has converted the stock exhaust and added the pro-moto insert for $60 and then bought a aftermarket pipe (without header).??.

Did you notice a great amount of power gains??? And what exhaust did you try? I'm trying to save $$$ to get other things done...suspension, etc..thanks.

Well... I do. I have an FMF factory 4 pipe. i bought my bike used with it on already. That pipe, far as I could tell, was absolutely great. No bogs, no power loss, good on the top and bottom. But especially on the top.

However, I find drag racing down fire roads extremely boring, and I prefer trails. So I usually ride no more than 35mph before I get bored. But, that is pretty fast considering the trails.

I am running in my first enduro next week (Ghost Riders). So I put back on the stock header and pipe, removed the inner baffle and gave it a try. For my type of riding, I can't tell the difference. But if you are into drag racing...

There is one major difference though... the stock pipe with the baffle remove is a lot quieter. Its AMA legal and friendly to those around you.

I would think that only the best riders would really notice a real difference. I will probably sell my factory 4 pipe.

Well... I do. I have an FMF factory 4 pipe. i bought my bike used with it on already. That pipe, far as I could tell, was absolutely great. No bogs, no power loss, good on the top and bottom. But especially on the top.

However, I find drag racing down fire roads extremely boring, and I prefer trails. So I usually ride no more than 35mph before I get bored. But, that is pretty fast considering the trails.

I am running in my first enduro next week (Ghost Riders). So I put back on the stock header and pipe, removed the inner baffle and gave it a try. For my type of riding, I can't tell the difference. But if you are into drag racing...

There is one major difference though... the stock pipe with the baffle remove is a lot quieter. Its AMA legal and friendly to those around you.

I would think that only the best riders would really notice a real difference. I will probably sell my factory 4 pipe.

Thanks...that's more of an answer I was looking for....I already removed the baffle, haven't riden it yet...suspension being sent in.

Any other responses would be appreciated..

I had a stock pipe, put the PMB insert on it, had it that way all summer. Felt sluggish and sounded brutal (we don't have sound issues here); put on a PowerCore4 Ti and I absolutely love it. Just my 2 cents...

I have a 06 wr450 with all the free mods,AIS, promoto insert and jd jet kit and love it power on demand everywhere from single track to desert and its quite.

Thanks..I think I will buy the insert and run it...And LATER if I need MORE power, I might splurge for the fmf Q....Isn't it also lighter than the stock exhaust? ???

I have the FMF Q2 muffler along with the free mods. It is quiet and has unleashed the hidden power in this bike. I recently added the powerbomb header (supercross model) and found it to add a noticible midrange hit, just about the time I would have shifted. It actually adds more rpm's and extends the pull in each gear.