HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2weelz

Engine Sputter on 03 YZ450F

9 posts in this topic

BTW, this is a street legal supermoto bike.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on my sputter problem. The engine always starts right up. It always runs great when you're applying throttle. Problem: when at a cruising speed and approx 3/8 throttle or less, the engine sputters every second or two. As soon as the throttle is applied, it runs strong with no sputters.

I just bought the bike today so I don't know any of it's history. It has a full exhaust and was told the carb has factory jets...I can't verify that. This bike came from Arkansas so I'd imagine it needs some jetting changes for the different altitude. What do you think?

does it do this in a certain gear by any chance?

you could just clean the carb really good and try it again. if it only does it in a certain gear(or two maybe) you might have tranny trouble.

At that low of a throttle opening, the pilot still has a significant influence. You might try fudging the fuel screw out (or in) a half turn to see what happens. Could be slightly lean at that point. A lean misfire should be kind of irregular. Rich is usually a more regular sounding stutter.

I'm not too knowledgable about carbs but the previous owner said he messed with the fuel screw (on the bottom, front) with no luck. What about a jet kit? It did come from Arkansas.