Honda 450 Rider looking at YZF

Hey, I have a 02 crf 450 and it is a getting time to upgrade. i am not loyal to honda because or the constant valve issue and the cornering is horrible. I am looking at 06-07 and was looking into the yzf

if anyone out here could tell me what they like about it over hte crf it would be much appreciated

thanks

Hi cfave,

I just upgraded from an '02 CRF450 to my '06 YZ450F and couldn't be happier. The YZ feels so much lighter than the Honda. After setting the sag and raising the forks to the first line the YZ blew me away with how well it turned. The power is a little softer than my piped CRF on the bottom but the YZ hauls when you twist it. The power is very smooth and it hooks up very well.

The biggest improvement for me was the suspension. The CRF has stock suspension also but the YZ is worlds better. I was faster on my local beat up track after my second lap on the YZ than I ever was on the CRF. I could also ride many more laps without getting tired.

Having owned an '01 WR250F that is still on its original valves and hasn't even been shimmed, the Yamaha's are very reliable. I bought the '06 as a leftover because they are selling for $5900 OTD compared to the $7200 OTD for an '07 locally.

I was really debating going with new offset triple clamps and getting the suspension done on the CRF but the YZ was definitely the right call. Good luck.

Steve

dsrtridr,

Thanks for all that info! That is what Im looking for as feedback. I ride in a club where majority of the 450s are hondas but i have seen of late that they are switching out. We have all the different dealers right around where i live and since they are all pretty much the same price i figured id see what others felt about these bikes.

I have talked to a few about the Husky 450 and the KTM 450 (not out yet) I have also entertained the RMZ450 (heard good things about that too) but my biggest thing is Im a fun time rider that enjoys a good hard ride but not all the fanfare that is going to keep me in the garage.

My honda has been good to me and I have increased my skill by ten fold. But it is time to get a bike that i can take it to the next level. Ive replaced my vavles twice in 2 years adn the cornering is horrible.

I have put alot into it and it turns better than before but when i hear others talk about how theirs run it kinda has me wondering.

So thanks for the input.

Chris

Hi cfave,

I just upgraded from an '02 CRF450 to my '06 YZ450F and couldn't be happier. The YZ feels so much lighter than the Honda. After setting the sag and raising the forks to the first line the YZ blew me away with how well it turned. The power is a little softer than my piped CRF on the bottom but the YZ hauls when you twist it. The power is very smooth and it hooks up very well.

The biggest improvement for me was the suspension. The CRF has stock suspension also but the YZ is worlds better. I was faster on my local beat up track after my second lap on the YZ than I ever was on the CRF. I could also ride many more laps without getting tired.

Having owned an '01 WR250F that is still on its original valves and hasn't even been shimmed, the Yamaha's are very reliable. I bought the '06 as a leftover because they are selling for $5900 OTD compared to the $7200 OTD for an '07 locally.

I was really debating going with new offset triple clamps and getting the suspension done on the CRF but the YZ was definitely the right call. Good luck.

Steve

That's exacly what I think. I also switched from an 02 crf450 to the 06 yzf450, and haven't looked back. The yzf feels like your on rails, handles like a dream, and jumps even nicer. Go for it, get the YZF.

The only thing you should do to this bike is change the bars, lower the front forks, and do something to customize it, because it seems like everybody is buying the yzf :devil: