HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elgatoprerunner

Oil freeze plug fell out????

10 posts in this topic

I was riding my 04 wr 450 this weekend and dumped it simi hard on a hill. I notices alot of white smoke comming from the engine. A freeze plug of sorts shot out of my engines head and dumped out all my oil. It is just above the exhaust exit and has a black plastic piece the size of a dime. Does anyone know why this happened? Please help

Or for less than a buck you can get an 18mm steel freeze plug from your local auto parts store.

Steve

You could do that.....and watch it fall back out just like the stock one did :devil: These are held in by the bolt and use a rubber seal

If done properly it will last the life of the engine. What do you think they use in pressurized oil galleys in car and truck engines. I used one in my 04 WR450 and haven't given it a second thought about it failing. I think the aluminum plugs are overpriced and meant for people with more money than brains.

Steve

If done properly it will last the life of the engine. What do you think they use in pressurized oil galleys in car and truck engines. I used one in my 04 WR450 and haven't given it a second thought about it failing. I think the aluminum plugs are overpriced and meant for people with more money than brains.

Steve

Steve, the difference is aluminum and steel. They will expand and contract at different rates. Eventually, it will push out. I suspect an engine galley plug is on a cast iron engine block. I know they dont even use a hammer in plug on an AL engine, but a bolt in one.

Steve, the difference is aluminum and steel. They will expand and contract at different rates. Eventually, it will push out. I suspect an engine galley plug is on a cast iron engine block. I know they dont even use a hammer in plug on an AL engine, but a bolt in one.

The steel plugs are used in both iron and aluminum blocks and cylinder heads.I built engines professionally for almost 15 years and have lost count how many times I've used this type of plug in aluminum blocks and heads.

Steve

Steve

More money than brains eh? More like smart enough to but a bullet proof product so you don't have to worry about getting stranded 100 miles from no where. I built race engines for almost 20 years and I HAVE seen then blow out.

If you install it correctly you'll blow out a seal before you blow out the plug. The only way the plug in mine is coming out is for me to take it out.

Steve