Water removal from engine

Anyone know of a good way to get river water out of an engine? Is just changing the oil a couple times good enough or is there a better way to flush it clean?

I've heard running ATF through it first is good because it absorbs water. Then run cheap oil through it a few times and you should be OK.

I've never done it, though.

change the oil lots of times!!! and heat cycles.

Anyone know of a good way to get river water out of an engine? Is just changing the oil a couple times good enough or is there a better way to flush it clean?

I went through the same thing earlier this year when I tried to use my bike like a jet ski :devil: Change your oil with the cheapest ATF you can find about 8 times running it at idle for a couple min before each change. Then change it twice with cheap oil to get the ATF out and then one more time with the oil of choice changing the filter as well.

you mean after you stand it on end so you can try to get enough water out so you can get it fired up to get back to the truck..

standup.jpg

Changing the oil 5 or 6 or a 100 times should do it as far as the motor when the oil stops looking milky change it 2-3 more times and you should be good.

But depending on how the water got in you should also pull the carb and hit it with some carb cleaner. the water comming in from the airbox can leave build up in the carb. for me this ended up with a stuck float needle on the one damn day I didn't bring my tool box and ruined a day of riding.

I took my bike swimming a month ago. took about 5 quarts of oil, an aircompressor to help blow out extra stuff each time, and I poured a gallon of diesel through the motor(did not run with it, just pour in to let drain out). Also don't forget to pull the drain bolt on the front of the frame sump, it'll help a lot with speeding up the water dispersion.

Strip & clean your carb meticuously, speacially if it was dirty river water & not crystal clear. Actually open the big, 17mm, drain bolt on the bottom of the carb & inspect the inside to see if any silt has got in there.