HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
silverlakerider

Average mileage on tank of gas

11 posts in this topic

Hey fellas, I'd like to see what other riders are getting for mileage on their stock tanks on a '05 WR450. Mine has all the free mods, Dr.D exhaust (full system), and a JD jetting kit. It runs great, the plug looks great. I only got about 40+ miles this weekend before I had to switch to reserve and milk it back home. I thought I could get around 60+ miles before switching, I guess I was wrong. What is everybody elses averages?

Unfortunately , that's about right. I have an 03' with a 2.8 gal tank and I can go about 45-50 miles but i'm on alot of tight trail that doesnt require much throttle. If i'm not mistaken the tank on the 05 is smaller.

There have been times where I only get 30-40 miles before I have to switch to reserve. I have found that tight single track eats the fuel (1st -3rd gear) and logging road type riding I get close to 50 mi. on a tank. I recently upgraded to an IMS 3.4 gal tank so that I was able to go allot further.

Yep, when I ride on lots of single track / MX track it will get right at 22 mpg - I've checked it several times. With the 2.1 gal. tank that is just over 45 mi. total range. :thumbsup:

I know it will get better on more open terrain. Anyway, I ended buying a Clarke 2.8 gal. tank but didn't plan any longer rides in the dusty summer so I haven't put it on.

Now, I've gone ahead and bought a KTM 250xcfw. What a nice bike!! I've only done a couple rides but it averaged in the low 30's mpg. The WR is for sale. I really am a fan of the WR for it's strength and reliability, though.

Ride on!

Mike

I looked at the IMS tanks on TT and it looks like it's just a 3.1 gal tank for the WR450s is that correct? The stock tank is 3 gal on the 04. The only other option I saw was a 6.6 gal acerbis. Do they make an in between tank where maybe it's just 1gal larger so it still looks normal but with a larger capacity? I'd hate to run out of gas on a beach in Mexico if I can only go about 20-25 miles each way. I guess I could always get that big acerbis and just switch them out depending upon where I'm riding but I think a 4-4.5 tank would be good all around.

Thank you for your responses fellas. And btw, I was riding tight single track all day, never got above 3rd gear. That explains a lot. Once again, thanks.