HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SC_Spode

Tire recommendations?

27 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'll be picking up an 06 450F this week to replace my 03. I've seen a number of discussions regarding front end push on this bike and one of the recommendations has been specific tires.

I'll be riding this primarily on hard (red clay) surfaces.

Question - What tire seems to be best suited for this application on the YZ? If you've got a few of them, please list the pros and cons for comparison purposes.

I'll fiddle with all the other adjustments as needed but would like to start off with the best tire possible and I'm hoping to get this worked out to my satisfaction.

One of the things I liked best about the 03 was how planted the front end felt in the turns, especially compared to my 03 CRF which has a vague feel and would wash just enough to scare me into slowing down every once in a while. I'm hoping to get the same confidence with the 06.

Thanks in advance.

:thumbsup:

I ride in hard packed clay and I found the 952's to be about the best tire out there.

From what I've heard and read the stock front tire works fine on hardpack so you might give it a try before you change it out?

The 739 works very well on very hard surfaces. At this year's San Diego Supercross, about half the pros were running them. The trouble is that they don't work on anything else, so they aren't well suited for most real world conditions where there is usually some variation in the soil type almost anywhere that you ride. The 952 front works well over a much wider range, including hard pack down to the lower end of intermediate. The M401 works well in softer soils, and not quite as well in hard pack, but still good. An M601 is more like the 952.

For the rear, use a 952 or an M602 for the best grip, or a Maxxis IT for the longest lasting tire by far, with 90%+ the performance of the others.

Hard pack only...The 739 is decent, I would try it first. You might try a 90/100 bridgestone 401, that is what I run at any hardpack track race.

Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I was looking for. :thumbsup:

And I'm in agreement with the Maxxis IT description. Closest thing to an iron tire I've been able to find. :lame:

:p

Personally I think the Maxxis are crap. The one and only tire that I used and actually disliked. I am a firm believer in the Kenda line. Price point is right there and they have a good life. I also think that they actually work well and hook up rather good. Dunlop /Bridgestone are good but cost more and don't last as long. :thumbsup:

And I'm in agreement with the Maxxis IT description. Closest thing to an iron tire I've been able to find. :p

:bonk:

well if you want a iron tire the Michelin MH3 Starcross is the best :lame:

It will last almost the life of your bike....

well if you want a iron tire the Michelin MH3 Starcross is the best :thumbsup:

For $100, it had better last a long time. :lame: I can get an IT for around $60.

And I'm in agreement with the Maxxis IT description. Closest thing to an iron tire I've been able to find. :lame:

:p

Hey Spode, I run the Maxxis on my YZ but I put the IT on the rear and the SI on the front. I figured like in street-riding you want your soft rubber up front and the firmer on the rear to last longer. So I tried it on dirt last year and have loved the combo so far in all kinds of terrain, sticks well and wears slow.

well if you want a iron tire the Michelin MH3 Starcross is the best :thumbsup:

Have to agree fully. Best tire i have ever spent money on, lasted twice as long as any other tire.

I am now running Michelin STARCROSS MS3 on my bike, but still like the S12 front and M12 rear to be the best combo.

I picked them up at my dealer for $68.00 mounted

Personally I think the Maxxis are crap.
I agree, at least with the IT rear. It wears well and it's OK in hardpack and rocks, but it's only marginally better than my worn 739 in the mud, which was horrendous. I'll be switching to the MT16 next to match the one on the front. There may be better tires for specific conditions, but the MT16 is a great all conditions tire, IMO.

The IT is not patrticularly good in mud, I'll give you that, but you don't get much of that in SoCal that isn't man-made. It works about like a 756 in the slime , and I find it OK in intermediate to hard soils. The really good thing is the wear, especially the early wear. Whereas Dunlops tend to round off very quickly, the IT stays pretty square edged for a very long time. Comparing new to new, there are a lot of better tires for any given situation. But on the basis of hours of use per dollar spent, there are damn few that can work as well and hold up for as long.

Hey Spode, I run the Maxxis on my YZ but I put the IT on the rear and the SI on the front. I figured like in street-riding you want your soft rubber up front and the firmer on the rear to last longer. So I tried it on dirt last year and have loved the combo so far in all kinds of terrain, sticks well and wears slow.

That setup i excactly what i would be leaning towards with my 06 250F, i love the Maxxis IT rear but the IT front i would not buy again, next time i will try the SI on the front and leave the ITs for the rear.

So, some of you are running 756's on the front on hardpack and they work well for you?

Nobody likes the old school M22/23 combo for the hard stuff nowadays? :thumbsup:

:lame:

I've been running the Dunlop 756 up front, with the Maxxis IT on the rear. I ride both trail and track, and the track varies from Loamy to hardpack; while the trail runs from soft to intermediate. I have also beat the snot outta the rear for a good number of trips on rocky areas (Tower City and Paragon in Pennsylvania), and the IT has held up very well.

I think this combo works very well, but I don't think the IT is the best tire if you ride a lot of Mud...not horrible mind you, just not the best tire for Mud.

I'm a little leery about Kenda's...my buddy rides the same bike (Yz450f) and his Kenda has less mileage than my combo, yet his tire has done nothing but chunk, chunk, chunk. Last I looked, my Maxxis has lost Zero knobs. I can't base my decision about Kenda on one tire, but judging from my buddy's results, I'd stay away from Kenda Millvilles.

So, some of you are running 756's on the front on hardpack and they work well for you?

Nobody likes the old school M22/23 combo for the hard stuff nowadays? :thumbsup:

:lame:

756 rears work well on hard pack. 756 fronts are less suited to it than to softer stuff. Both tires wear quite quickly.