Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loudmuffler

HELP FAST! Can u use a extra radiator as a oil tank?

14 posts in this topic

OK i got a extra radiator laying around. I was thinking maybe i can get rid of the oil tank and hook the extra radiator up as the oil tank.

Thinking of it, it would probably run a little cooler cause the oil in the radiator would act like 1 giant oil cooler.

The motor has 3 oil lines. I was thinking the radiator has 3 holes. the 2 big ones and the 1 small over flow tube.

so will it work?

Where would you even put that thing? I dont think it would work because those radiators are designed for a water/antifreeze mixture not a super thick oil mixture.

Where would you even put that thing? I dont think it would work because those radiators are designed for a water/antifreeze mixture not a super thick oil mixture.

my thoughts exactly

u may want to try an auto mobile transmission fluid cooler. my truck has one and its just a bit biger than a dirtbike radiator and since it cools trany fluid(wich is thicker than anti freeze/water) it might provide enouph flow. how ever if u try it find out what kind of car/truck its for and then find out the standard weight of the tranny fluid use in that car/truck. if its a heavier weight than your engine oil then it might work. another thing to think about is can the engine pump the oil if thier is axtra rezistance. even if u can find some kind of high flow radiator/cooler your engine wasnt designed to pump any more than it allready is.

Ummm... Whats the hurry?

He's got the rad and tools ready in his hands and just waiting for a let go from us...

Ummm... Whats the hurry?

Well your's weren't fast enough. I did it. I put it on and filled it up with oil and had it mounted on pretty good. Well then i got to thinking and thought the oil might be to thick. So i ripped it off and got oil all over me and got kind of pissed cause i hate getting oil on me so I'm back on the computer with my oily hands.

What about the kit to run no oil tank? I don't want to buy that kit but couldn't i make my own kit?

Reason i wanted to use a radiator as a oil tank is beceause my oil tank wont fit with the radiator. Its a quad with the yz motor.

I do have a oil cooler but its really small.

What about the kit to run no oil tank? I don't want to buy that kit but couldn't i make my own kit?

Handy as you are, getdrunk, I'm pretty sure it is a piece of cake for you. :thumbsup:

Handy as you are, getdrunk, I'm pretty sure it is a piece of cake for you. :thumbsup:

Well i know i could just hook the oil lines up to each other but i dont know how i would get the oil in the motor.

The radiator will not hold enough oil, for one thing, so, no. Try again.

I put the oil tank on. Could i hook up the radiator to it and use it as a big oil cooler?