voltage regultor

I discovered why the lights won't work on my 87 xr600r ... no voltage regultor! Duh. I haven't really needed lights 'til now (no road bike for running errands at night since I crashed my gsxr1100 ... but that's another story). Bikebandit shows the voltage regultator as NLA. Anybody got an extra one lying around? Alternatively, is there any reason that a voltage regultor from another bike won't work. For example, I saw one from an '02 xr400 for sale. I haven't yet done any investigation on the finer points of the electrical requirements for voltage regultors. Are there electrical differences between all the different ones for different bikes, or are the differences mainly in the form factor?

Thanks.

-Doug

Okay, I found someone with a regulator from an 86 XL600R. Anyone know if that will work on a 87 XR? Thanks ...

When I dual sported my XR250, I bought a regulator/rectifier from E-Bay for $10, works great.

Okay, I found someone with a regulator from an 86 XL600R. Anyone know if that will work on a 87 XR? Thanks ...

Yes, it should work. The regulator on the L is wired differently than a XR. The XL regulator makes DC for the battery. The XR has an AC regulator. The light should have worked for a short time without the regulator. The voltage is proportional to the rpm. The regulator is what keeeps the bulb from burning ot at higher rpms.

You can get an AC regulator off of ebay or a vendor. Ricky Stator is rather inexpensive.

I discovered why the lights won't work on my 87 xr600r ... no voltage regultor! Duh. I haven't really needed lights 'til now (no road bike for running errands at night since I crashed my gsxr1100 ... but that's another story). Bikebandit shows the voltage regultator as NLA. Anybody got an extra one lying around? Alternatively, is there any reason that a voltage regultor from another bike won't work. For example, I saw one from an '02 xr400 for sale. I haven't yet done any investigation on the finer points of the electrical requirements for voltage regultors. Are there electrical differences between all the different ones for different bikes, or are the differences mainly in the form factor?

Thanks.

-Doug

I have an extra one. It is an AC voltage regulator for an XR and will work great. email me and Ill send it to you for postage. sniperx@netscape.com