HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeffahart

Best way to sell bike

31 posts in this topic

I'm selling my 650r, and two other XRs a 100 and 70. Where is the best place to list the bikes for sale?

Thanks

Jeff

I'd suggest local newspapers and auto classifieds.

I'm not a big fan of ebay, having to get it shipped, not being able to actually see and run the bike.

Sold and bought all my bikes so far using Tri-ads, Autotrader or newspaper classifieds.

Be Careful! I asked a similar question the other day wondering aloud if I should part or keep my XR650R and a moderator deleted the whole thread today because it "was too much like a for sale ad" :thumbsup::lame:

Anyways, I was thinking about advertising it on here but will probably go the eBay route....

Cycle Trader, Ebaby and Craigslist get my votes.

I sold an intake manifold on Craisgslist on the weekend. First time I used them for buying or selling. I put the ad sat morn, and it was picked up by sat 5pm. And its free to use, so worth a try. The buyer lived 10min from me.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I am constantly surprised at the amount of money bikes bring on ebay, just based on a photo and description. But I will tell you that if you sell something on there and its junk, ebay will ban you in a heartbeat, its amazing, its all based on trust and the feedback system. :thumbsup:

I just got an offer from someone in a foriegn country to buy all three bikes. He is giving me selling price plus an extra $3000 for shipping. This makes me kina nervous! I'm used to people coming to my house and scrutnizing and riding bike before buying! Anyone ever have offer from foriegn country?

Thanks

Jeff

Sounds fishy, RUN dont look back!!! $3000 for shipping you could buy a new bike in whatever country it is for the difference!!!!

Well, make sure you have the money before you ship. Lots of scams out there with people buying foreign stuff. Like you send the bikes and they feed you bullshit about paying and then never do. I read somewhere about a bunch of scams with people buying stuff from foreign countries.

Be really careful.... As long as you get the money (dont let him tell you, get a bank to tell you)

Try to get as much information from his as possible. Name, address, phone number...

I dont know.

IMO it sounds like a scam, the fact that he's buying all three bikes, and paying 3 grand extra for shipping... seems almost too good to be true...

ebay will get you the most money. cycletrader will get you a sell. thumpertalk is free but i not sure how many bikes sell here.....mine did but i didnt even have to list it.

I just got an offer from someone in a foriegn country to buy all three bikes. He is giving me selling price plus an extra $3000 for shipping. This makes me kina nervous! I'm used to people coming to my house and scrutnizing and riding bike before buying! Anyone ever have offer from foriegn country?

Thanks

Jeff

S C A M :thumbsup:

I agree with you guys. If I get money order and bucks in bank I'll deal. BTW, I had the bikes in the Recycler and this has been the only bite. I'm going with the other suggestions also.

Thanks

Jeff

All Of The Overseas And Extra Money For Shipping Are Scams!!!

Any Mo You Get Can Be Fake, All Mo's Now Need To Clear Just Like Personal Checks!!!!

Scam Scam Scam!!!

You might as place it here at , Thumpertalk's classified, It's Advertising..

And it's free...great coverage...... :lame:

Oh Yeah, Jeff that definetly sounds like a SCAM........ :thumbsup:

those overseas things are a total scam... they all have some stupid excuse why they will need to cut you a check for 6000 more then you want for the bike and some crap. i don't know how it actually works but dont' care to ever findout. i would report whomever that guy is to the ebay people

<<i don't know how it actually works but dont' care to ever findout>>

This is a very old scam. A person from a foreign country wants to buy your bike and they want to pay you "extra" for your troubles. They will pay with a money order or cashier's check. The payment will bounce, but they are very good forgeries and they will be long gone before the payment bounces. RUN AWAY from the offer, do not even answer it...

craigslist is free and WORKS, just post "local pickup and cash deal only" in your ad.That will weed out the scammers

I had a guy offer to buy my 1987 xl600r listed here, wanted to ship it to Paris. he asked no questions about the bike. as soon as i told them i would cash a check before releasing the bike & title the e-mails stopped