Question for grayracer

I have a 07 450 and ordered a Hinson clutch for it. Apparently Yamaha changed the pressure plate for 07 and Hinson can`t tell me yet if the 06 pressure plate will work. I went ahead and ordered one for a 06 because I couldn`t imagine that it wouldn`t work, but now I am second guessing myself. You seem to have a pretty good knowledge of the 450 so I thought I would ask you. Thanks!

So, let me try to understand this....Hinson doesn't know, but you think I do? ?

Here's what I would do: Yamaha says they went to a stiffer pressure plate. They don't mention any other clutch modification other than a reduction of pull effort. They don't have the on-line parts catalog up for the '07 yet, but you should go to a dealer during a less busy time of day and look through the parts listing for the '06 and '07 clutches. If the same boss and plates are listed, and the same number of plates used, the Hinson should work. The clutch hardware was unchanged from '05 to '06, with much of it dating to 2000, so it isn't real likely that there is much difference in the pressure plate other than structural changes to make it more rigid. If only the pressure plate is different, it's fairly certain that the Hinson should work.

Anyway, you're going to be installing it with all Hinson hardware, so in effect, you'll be installing an '06 Hinson clutch as a unit, and it will be at least internally compatible. The only other thing I can think of is that there could be some difference in the push rod/release bearing assembly.

Hey GreyRacer....glad to see you are on Hinsons payroll....he he he. ?

........I would think that it will work...it will be a 06 full hinson clutch...they have not had enough time to refab and offer to the public yet for a 07......should be 30-60 more days..did they offer when??

I was not expecting that you knew more than Hinson, but you did give me your opinion and for that I say thank you! I feel better about ordering the 06 plate. Hinson did not give any kind of time frame on a update. Thanks Again!

The part number for the 07 is 2S2-16351-00-00 The 06 part number is 5JG-16351-00-00. Not sure the actuall differences but I would wait...

OBE

2S2 tells me it's a GYTR part... maybe it's the same GYTR part they offer for '06?

What irritates me with Yamaha is, that I would not like to grind off the stock primary driven gear from the basket to use it with the Hinson one, as I do not plan to sell the H with the bike when I sell it. Any ideas from where I could get a toasted stock basket to take the gear from, and are they with the same gear? Bad idea? Gear wear issues?

Yamaha don't sell the gear without the basket, and I want to keep the stock basket intact.

2S2 tells me it's a GYTR part... maybe it's the same GYTR part they offer for '06?

What irritates me with Yamaha is, that I would not like to grind off the stock primary driven gear from the basket to use it with the Hinson one, as I do not plan to sell the H with the bike when I sell it. Any ideas from where I could get a toasted stock basket to take the gear from, and are they with the same gear? Bad idea? Gear wear issues?

Yamaha don't sell the gear without the basket, and I want to keep the stock basket intact.

totally agree....the stock basket is toast after grinding......what does a new stock basket cost? I am the same about my Hinson.....I never want to sell it..... ?

All current GYT-R pn's begin with "GYT". The GYT-R pressure plate for the '06 is GYT-5XD56-20-00, and fits all YZ/WR450F's '03-'06. The 2S2 prefix is assoiciated with the '06 YZ450, just as 5JG was associated with 426's, and 5TA was associated with parts originated for the '03 YZ450FS.