HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yami racer

Greasing Wheel Bearings

10 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is a dumb question but I went to grease my wheel bearings and have no idea how to get the cover off. So, I just forced as much as I could into the gap around them. Do I just pry these off with a screw driver (carefully) or is there a right way to do this?

Thanks

Will attack linkage and steering stem next...sure to be a nightmare for my first time...

If I remember correctly the bearings I've seen on my YZ's were sealed. So basically you are not greasing the bearing but adding grease around it to keep water out. What you will want to do is carefully pop the dust seals out and then cover the top of the bearing with grease. After that go ahead und pack grease under the lip of the seal and push it back down over the bearing.

If I remember correctly the bearings I've seen on my YZ's were sealed. So basically you are not greasing the bearing but adding grease around it to keep water out. What you will want to do is carefully pop the dust seals out and then cover the top of the bearing with grease. After that go ahead und pack grease under the lip of the seal and push it back down over the bearing.

Hmm, I may be confused here, but did you say you never actually see the bearings and put grease in them? If so, you are wrong...there should be a dust seal, then another dust seal that you will need to get out with a pick (as shown in links I provided). On the front there is just a dust seal, then bearings, but on rear tire there are both the two dust seals. You're supposed to take them all off. You should pack grease directly into the bearings until they won't take anymore. Putting grease on the seals does nothing but make it a bitch to put back together, and not to mention a mess...

Ok, they must have changed to a non sealed bearing since my last YZ, a 99 125. I haven't checked out the 03 450 yet though.

Thanks all...Just did them and there is no dust seal in the front but is one on the back....

All yamaha wheel bearings, at least since 1999 have dust covers....you just take a screwdriver and carefully pry up the cover from inside the lower lip of the cover. If the frontbearings have no dust cover they are sure to be fouled/ruined. Go buy new bearings - they come with the dust cover and must be installed together after packing with grease to be effective. I use a large socket(just over the diameter of the dust cover) and my rubber mallot to reinstall the covers

I am confused then. When I removed the cover on the front wheel the bearings were exposed and I greased them and re-installed the cover. Is there supposed to be another dust seal on the front wheel bearings under the cover? If so I am definitely missing it because it was not there which means it came from the dealer without it as this is the first time i greased them. Can anyone else confirm if I am missing the dust seal on the front or if there is only the initial cover?

Thanks...

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.gifx?d=84066,2,0

12 & 13 are the spacers. Items 4 are seals. The bearings (2) are directly below that. The seals that sparkyz first mentioned are incorporated into the bearing itself. If the bearing is a sealed type, you won't be able to see any of the balls between the races, and unless that seal is removed, it is pointless to grease them. If the caged balls are visible, then they can be lubed. Under no circumstance should you attempt to remove a metal sealing shield from a ball bearing, if it is so equipped. Rubberized seals can be removed and replaced if handled carefully.