WR450 vs XR650R vs CRF450X

I spent last weekend riding at Hollister. Out of our large sized group one had a 2002 XR650R and one had a 2005 CRF450X. I raced both of them at different times. The races were short because of room and we stopped at approximately 65 mph. Both races were also started in 2nd gear. For the record, my 2006 WR450X has the free mods, JD jetting kit with blue needle in 3rd position, 45 pilot, 168 main, UNI filter and Pro Moto Billet exhaust insert:

vs CRF450X (exhaust baffle removed, pink wire mod NOT done): he hit it first, when I hit it I consistently pulled away from him at all rpm ranges, when I let off I had several bike lengths on him

vs XR650R (uncorked, 13 tooth front sprocket, UNI filter, "E" series pipe with 12 discs and quiet core insert, 68s pilot and 178 main): closer than the 450X but the WR clearly had a power advantange. My friend said when I started hitting the higher rpms then I pulled away even faster from him. I don't know what the approximate distance in bike lengths was when I let off.

I said this before, I do believe my WR450 is faster than my XR650R before I put a cam and pumper carb in it (650). I love the WR more and more each ride. I had been considering installing the YZ cam but I've decided to upgrade the seat and tank in preparation for my next desert trip.

I did a lot of shopping, asking for opinions, research and thinking on all 3 of these before deciding to get the WR. I ruled out the 650 because of the weight. It came down to the wr and the crf. I had heard about hondas valves and honda wouldnt deal with me. I got the WR for about $1500 cheaper than was able to get CRF. I havent regretted getting the WR.

The 650 is a different class of bike and depending on what kind of riding you are doing can be a better or worse choice. The two 450's compare well in performance with little to choose there...but with the nod to the Yamaha for cost and reliability. The 2007 WR looks like it might open up the performance gap a bit...but close the cost gap as the Honda is basically unchanged.

• 4 months later...

That 650R rider must have not known how to launch, I have raced an 06 WR450 with mine up to about 70 or so in the dirt and I had several full car lengths on him and still steadily pulling away, we also went from a 20 ish roll and my 650R pulled away from him pretty hard. It might have something to do with me only weighing 160lbs though, I imagine a light rider on a WR450 would be pretty lethal. I also think the 650R you were racing might have been handicapped by that 13T front sprocket, mine with a 15T will be sideways through 60-65mph in the dirt. I can't wait to race him again now that I got rid of my edelbrock, it was limiting my top end a bit as the eddies tend to run pretty rich on top if you have them jetted normally down low (problem with having one needle essentially controlling everything) I really do like those WR450S though, I was honestly on the fence about which one to get, I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the WR.

After a few months later, I still dont regret the WR-thankful no CRForX, but riding with the guys I ride with, the 650 would probably be better. I havent ridden one, but one of the guys has the XR600 and for what we do, his does better except for the magic E button, but the WR, man I think there are spikes in the seat!

The WR and CRFX are pretty even, with variations between individual motors etc, and just pick what color you like. My 650R feels slower than my WR, but is faster, the farther you go, and goes over stuff more smoothly to a certain extent. But even desert races I usually run the WR.

Ken

I have also raced a couple of xr650's (not uncorked yet) and i can pull away from them up to about 80 mph when mine starts to rev pretty high, and i kill her, i got about 5 lengths on him, however to their defence I think they may not be revving their bikes to their potential, they are both uncorked now and looking forward to the snow to melt in june so we can try again..........

I have also raced a couple of xr650's (not uncorked yet) and i can pull away from them up to about 80 mph when mine starts to rev pretty high, and i kill her, i got about 5 lengths on him, however to their defence I think they may not be revving their bikes to their potential, they are both uncorked now and looking forward to the snow to melt in june so we can try again..........

Try again in June. A 650R that's still corked is like riding an overweight XR250. Remember how your WR felt before you modified the throttle screw? It's the same thing with the 650R and the intake manifold- - -only allows about 50% of the mix through. I would really be surprised if a corked up 650 could even make it to 80 because they can barely idle like that.

I owned a 2002 XR650R and absolutely loved the bike. I have ridden it in Mojave and loved every minute of it (until I'm tired and have to pick it up on the side of a hill with the 4.3 gallon tank full of gas). Anyway, since I mostly trail ride the WR450 is much more enjoyable for my needs. As far as power, my 650R ran extremely well with a stage 1 cam, Edelbrock carb, header, pipe, open side panel and cdi. It was a very reliable bike that never let me down.

I would like to ride a 525 but haven't had the opportunity.

Yeah, i can't wait actually to try him again, im sure he will find a big difference after uncorking her, like you said, i found a HUGE diff in mine when uncorking her. I really thin he needs an accelerator pump type carb though as when i drove his bike it had a delay before the power cuts in, im sure the squirt would fix this up, is this what the edlebrock cards people are using in these? what about setting up an FCR carb for them??

that is just seat time on the bike. I'm getting more comfy on the XR, and you gotta thinkmore, and rely less on reaction to get through stuff. That being said, I still prefer my 450 for most everything, its just a very different game riding the 650. and sometimes its fun.

Ken

Hi there !

The 650 excells in places the 450 is unbearable to ride. Like the Baja peninsula at 80 + mph! The 450 is fast, but don't be thinking your going to spank a 525 KTM with it. Not even close............

Good Luck !

STS.

Well I've spanked my buddy's 05 525exc plenty of times with my 04 wr so that comment surprises me. His bike is stock though and mine has free mods, pipe and great jetting. He's also about 40 pounds heavier than me. I won't knock his pumpkin though, it's a nice bike. There's just nothing like revin the 5 valve.

• 2 weeks later...

MM,

Actually, they were not sand-bagging. Corked XRRs are only good for about 6k rpm, maybe less. I've uncorking my 06 since I got it in June and only just tried an HRC tip on it yesterday...mild temps. Found a good 'nother 1k rpm on top of the 500-1k rpm after I took out the air-box bits and upgraded the carb jets - 68s & 175 main. At this rate I'll be bumping the rev limiter (8,200 rpm) in no time. Probably could have done that yesterday, but it is a loud tip.

Along with the freer breathing and more fuel flow, there's more hp and as Eric at "The Pig Pen" approximates - Corked = 35; uncorked = 45 and HRC kit = 55. My seat of the pants experience has been that corked feels more like 30 hp and would struggle to get to 65-70, short shifting every gear.

So, come time for the re-match, be sure to leave room for them to pass. After all, they are BRPs.