Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xnofriendsx

Fork Seals YZ426, How To?

13 posts in this topic

First of all, the search is down so sorry if this has been talked about five million times which i am sure it has. BTW, is the search just always down or what. Sort of pissing me off lately.

But i am pretty sure i need new fork seals. Leaking sort of bad, and i tried the 35mm filmstrip thing to clean them out, but still getting a decent amount of oil leaking. Shops want like $150-175 i think to do the job. Can i do it myself? I like to work on stuff, but it is easy or can i mess stuff up pretty bad, etc?

I have seen some kits for $65 and i am guessing i need a few tools to do the job. Is there a how to or any more online info besides searching on TT and having the search constantly down.

So if anyone can throw some quick info down that would be great.

Oh yeah, and Seal Savers are getting purchased as well.

Thanks.

You'll need a seal driver which aren't cheap, or you can make your own from PVC pipe. It shouldn't cost too much at a shop, $150 is way overpriced. Have you had a look in the "suspension" forum?

The search seems to be off and on so i have printed out a few pages on various things.

I have searched a bit here and there. I would love to find an online tutorial.

I do a lot of tutorials for video production and it is good to have those online.

I would love the same for fork seals.

I am going to search some more though. Thanks.

The guide for a CRF would be wrong for a 426. Try This Page for instructions that will work for you, Steps 7 & 8 can be skipped, but you'll still need to know how to set the oil level.

Once the seals are in and the fork is back together, avoid extending the outer tubes more than eight inches, as damage to the seals can be caused by going beyond that. With the fork upright and the outer tubes and damper compressed, fill the fork with oil. Work the outer tube up and down 6-8" a few times to move oil into the space between the tubes. Then pull the damper rods all the way up and back down until it stops making slurping noises. If the top of the damper cartridge shows up above the surface of the oil, add more oil to cover it. Once the air is pumped out, add or remove oil until the level is between 85 and 135 mm below the top of the compressed fork tube (try 100mm)

Thanks for all the tips and help.

What weight oil should i buy?

I am 6ft 4in, 235lbs.

Just get 1 quart?

Any specialty tools i should get?

I am going to attempt to do the PVC pipe method so i can save $60 on the seal drivers.

Maybe get a fork oil level gauge?

Thanks for all the tips and help.

What weight oil should i buy?

I am 6ft 4in, 235lbs.

Just get 1 quart?

Any specialty tools i should get?

I am going to attempt to do the PVC pipe method so i can save $60 on the seal drivers.

Maybe get a fork oil level gauge?

It won't hurt to get some extra oil to have spare, just in case you screw up, or if a fork leaks and needs a top up or whatever.

You can make your own oil height gauge aswell. Buy a large syringe(I bought some from a Horse shop, you don't need needles of course) and some hose to fit the end. Then, you just mark(or put tape around) the tube at the height you want the oil at, line the mark up with the top of the fork tube and suck out the excess oil.

Thanks.

I think i have a syringe already from my mountain bike stuff. It "might" work.

But sounds simple enough.

Since i weigh 235lbs or so should i get heavier weight oil or stick to the stock weight oil at 5wt?

The proper correction for your weight is heavier springs. Getting the right spring rate is probably the most important thing you can do for your suspension. When that's been done, using the recommended oil weight works fine. Meantime, you probably have enough damping adjustment to cover the difference, but the problem is that the bike will ride too low in the stroke with the stock springs. You'll need to add compression and subtract rebound, but it won't really work right until you change the springs.

Stick with the 5wt. and use the oil height to help control bottoming. The oil height will have the greatest effect on the last 3"-4" of your fork travel.

Thanks.

Since i weigh 235lbs or so should i get heavier weight oil or stick to the stock weight oil at 5wt?

I'd probably go for heavier oil if I was you, you could try some 10w and see how that feels. If the forks bottom out harshly, you can raise the height of the oil, 'cause the air pocket acts as a progressive spring. When my wrist was really bad, I used to raise the height of the oil so that they would never mechanically bottom out, it was way better for my wrist 'cause there was no sudden jolt. I haven't got around to changing the oil in my '06 yet, but I'm gonna play around with the height. You can see how much travel you're using on your forks by tieing a rubber band around the lower tube. By adjusting the oil height, you can get them working so that the air pocket will stop them compressing any further just before they bottom out mechanically. One downside to a high oil height is that the forks will feel stiffer through the whole stroke, but that might work out well for you.

I would like to get heavier springs eventually, but if i am redoing my seals, i would like to at least just get the oil stuff right too for now.

I mostly ride trails, but I had a few jumps on video from me riding in the dunes and the suspension was hitting pretty hard. I am not a jumper by any means, but i do want it a bit more stiff for my weight. But i will mess with the oil height as well.