HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1200bruce

My 2005 YZ450F sure don't like the trails...

17 posts in this topic

Well the tight switchback stuff anyway, I had fun trying to keep it running "at a idle". So I'm thinking 1 tooth down on the front and 2 up on the back! What do you think?

Thanks

Bruce

Personally I think this is overkill. I would start with either one down on the front or up to a 52 in the back and test first....

I think you will never get it right for tight switchbacks.....it is just too much for those conditions, in my opinion.

You can try a 10oz+ flywheel weight and different gearing....but it is what it is.....a MX only bike :thumbsup:

I would put a Rekluse on it if I were riding trails and drop a tooth on the front! O yeah I do have a Rekluse on mine and it spends most of its life on a track. Cant be beat.

Again, I have a 04' 450 w/ 51 rear & GYTR offroad flywheel,

but very slow switch back idle speeds and stalling can still

be an issue with these bikes. Get the Rekluse , it's the

answer to trail riding a YZF.

Nothing beats the Rekluse for tight trails, but if you don't wish to spend that much money, the heavier flywheel would be a better choice then changing the gearing.

Changing the gearing won't make the stalling problem go away.

Check out there website. They make auto clutches, it enables your bike to idle in gear and it won't stall, plus it slips the clutch for you. http://www.rekluse.com

thanks for the link man, that's pretty cool.

I do not know many 03=05 that do like switchbacks and trails...I hated mine in the woods even with a 5oz flywheel weight....you may need to go 8-12oz...before it is tame enough.....

I rode my YZF400 for almost five years on trails with many types of gearing setups. I found the stock gear to be the best. A little tough in the really tight trails, but I bumped my idle up a little to help with stalling. You just have to ride it like a MX bike. These bikes are not as forgiving as the XR's where you can chug along at an idle. Stay on the gas and use the clutch when you need it.

my .02 cents

I agree with the above post...try turning up the idle and see how that goes. It might just be the "poor man's" method of dealing with the tight stuff. It helps with my stock 04' 450f. it's not a cure-all, but it helps.