Vortex X10 CDI

I just outlaid what I thought was a lot of money on the Vortex X10 CDI unit & it is unbelievable! ? After reading peoples opinions on this forum I made the big decision & purchaed it & put it to the test last weekend. It was powerful before the Vortex with all my mods made so far but now it is just an animal! Pulls like an absolute steamtrain & I love the traction map setting which helps out heaps in the soft beach sand & trails I ride in here in Oz. Well worth the outlay. :lame:

Cheers from Oz.

Can you really feel the difference or is it a just a matter of trying to convince yourself you didnt waste half a grand? I have read ride reports from pros who said the change was hardley noticeable? You know what Ive always wanted to do-put all these gizmos and gadgets on one bike and have another stocker and see if you can actully pick the one with the mods-would be an interesting test I thinks.....

Can you really feel the difference or is it a just a matter of trying to convince yourself you didnt waste half a grand? I have read ride reports from pros who said the change was hardley noticeable? You know what Ive always wanted to do-put all these gizmos and gadgets on one bike and have another stocker and see if you can actully pick the one with the mods-would be an interesting test I thinks.....

Seriously, the ignition works great, it makes the most of mods like exhaust changes. The thing that impresses me the most about the vortex ignition is how crisp and smooth the power becomes. You can feel a difference between each and every setting.

I would say not for a stock bike, get an exhaust system first. Definately one for the mod list if you have the money, if you don't, like everything, your bike still runs no probs stock...........

I just outlaid what I thought was a lot of money on the Vortex X10 CDI unit & it is unbelievable! ? After reading peoples opinions on this forum I made the big decision & purchaed it & put it to the test last weekend. It was powerful before the Vortex with all my mods made so far but now it is just an animal! Pulls like an absolute steamtrain & I love the traction map setting which helps out heaps in the soft beach sand & trails I ride in here in Oz. Well worth the outlay. :lame:

Cheers from Oz.

Nice to hear about your success! ?

I'm like you in that I am dubious of companies promising all sorts of increases in performance etc so I researched the product on the internet & especially in this forum where I felt I would be able to get the opinions of people who have & are using the product. A free trial would have been great but I don't think Vortex would have been up for it. As far as whether I am trying to convince myself that I didn't waste a grand I let a mate of mine who had ridden my bike two weeks previously (without Vortex) ride it again this weekend & he could definitely notice the improvement, to the point where it scared him a bit to push it too hard. (He does ride a Honda XR400 so he can be excused) :lame: Another benefit is that like most WR450's I have read about mine was a little hard to start off E start cold. With the Vortex it kicks over instantly which has got to be an improvement. ? It is only through forums like these that we can actually get some hands on opinions on products & idea's that are out there & for that I am greatful to TT.

Cheers

Fair nuff mate-sounds good!! Does it also increase the redline? If so are there any reliability concerns? Which state you in?

According to Vortex it gives you an extra 500rpm but I can't vouch for that as I don't have a tacho. It does rev hard & I haven't hit the rev limiter yet. I live in W.A, lots of bikes but not to many places to ride close to Perth though. ?

I use the Vortex on my 130 mph+ SuperKart WR 450/500. I cannot backup my impressions with dyno data, but it works great. There were/are? problems with the Vortex in the YZ's that I am aware of, but the WR units are completely different and they seem to work great and last a long time. I was seeing 11,800 RPM with my onboard data using MAP1 and 10,500 using MAP 10 (which is labeled as zero).

Don E

PS...The data below is from my records regarding the kart and hope it helps with any lingering questions:

VORTEX X10 CDI

UNIT #1…..#01-002-02007 WRF_03 3/2005

The smallest and most Powerful Programmable CDI’s Available.

MAP 1 (BAR SW) MAP 1 Best overall pwr 11,700

MAP X 10 MAP 2 Traction 11,700

MAP X 10 MAP 3 Traction 11,700

MAP X 10 MAP 4 Traction 11,700

MAP X 10 MAP 5 Aggressive 1 11,700

MAP X 10 MAP 6 Aggressive 2 11,700

MAP X 10 MAP 7 Aggressive 3 11,700

MAP X 10 MAP 8 YZ Best PWR 11,700

MAP X 10 MAP 9 YZ O3 STD 11,700

MAP X 10 (0) MAP 10 (0) WR 03 STD 10,500

Allows the user to select up to 10 different power modes

Allows the rider to change power modes dynamically via a Handlebar Switch

ASM mode will swap from a Start to Race Map Automatically

Features Summary:

• Instant Plug in Performance (no mods to wiring)

• Up to 10 Selectable Power Settings (X10 Switch)

• Handlebar Switch for Dynamic Map Selection

• 50% Smaller for weight saving & easier mounting

• Rubber mounting boot & brackets supplied (where required)

• V-Boost—Voltage Booster for Maximum Spark Energy

• Hi Resolution 3D Maps (8 Curves per 0-100% Throttle)

• Programmable Rev Limit

• Power Jet Control Multiple ON/OFF points

• Race Proven Reliability

NOTE…POSITION 10 IS SET TO THE STOCK REV LIMITER POSITION!!!!

MT RACING (Mike Tolle ) 7555 Jurupa Ave., Ste. G, Riverside, CA 92504 Phone: 951-353-1253 Fax: 951-353-1259 mtracing250@earthlink.net ?

Thanks-sounds great, but can you use it on different year models or swap from a 250 to a 450 etc. Is there a base model which you download differrent maps for different years or cc's or is it just a fully contained unit that is only applicable to the model you purchase it for? Thanks

The OEM rev limit is 10800.

The Vortex is up to 11700 with most maps.

Buy it direct form Vortex and you get the 10 preset maps.

I asked Ballards (a distributer in OZ who race sponsor WRs) and they told me they programmme them and can customize the maps - cant vouch for that as I bought mine direct.

Have to agree - traction maps are A1.

It IS a good Unit ?

Can a user of the Vortex X-10 program it himself ? (Re-program maps)

What is needed to do that and at what cost ?

According to their siteyes-they offer easy to use computer software you can use to make your own maps.

Hmmm Im really considering getting one now-been a while since I wasted a few hunge on me ol girl :lame: Im hopeless-I cant stop buying stuff for her ?

Agreed, 10 maps should be enough.

Interesting though, there are no maps since 05 and Yamaha actually improved their ignition map on the 06.

I wrote the owner on this issue - no response.

Yes, the motor has not changed since 03 (except the newer 07) but does not mean a better map cant be included. I reckon the OEM 06 Ignition is pretty good stock. Yes, you can get custom tuning BUT at a cost.

My .02, if you have a 06 an are happy then dont blow the $ on a V10 unless you race or want to fine tune for mud / low traction conditions.