2001 WR426 vs. XR400

Right now I ride a 2001 XR400 and I'm looking at purchasing a 2001 WR426. How different are the two bikes?

Any problems on 2001 WR's that I should be aware of?

Both bike's are basically stock except for the normal mods (open airbox and muffler, rejet, etc.)

Thanks for your input.

It will be a big difference, but a good change. The 426's are damn near as bulletproof as your XR plus you get better suspension and more ponies. Nothing bad can come from the change except maybe a little extra money spent in oil changes becuase you'll want to do it more often in the 426 and probably some tire wear from the extra POWER!

Just do it and you won't be sorry - 426's rule ??:lame:

I just sold my '02 XR400. I have an '07 WR450 on order. I had ridden the XR for about two years, when a buddy of mine picked up a '98 YZ400 used.

That bike seemed to have SO much more power! I believe it actually weighed MORE than my XR, but it felt a good 20 lbs lighter, because it was thinner... And did I mention the POWER! :lame:

And I bet there is less weight on the 426, and more POWER!

I don't know anything about 426's, except I knew a guy that had a YZ, and he had problems starting it, cold or hot. It may have been him and not the bike though.

If you get the 426, watch out man! POWER!

I can't wait for my new WR450! ?

I ride with a couple of guys that have xr500's, and they were always bragging about how much power they had :lame: So I took them for a spin to compare against my 426. Well after getting off my bike and hopping on the 500, I twisted the throttle and it felt like a moped

The 426 really screams and Im the envy of all my riding buddies ? The only problem you might run into with the 426 is a weak shift fork or fifth gear going out. I havent had that problem, but after trolling these forums, that seems to be its only week spot. Theres people on here with 15,000+ miles on there 426.

Its tall and heavy and will take some getting used to, but Im gonna keep mine ?

426 all the waaayy!! A lot of my budies (all in fact) have XR 400's, one has a 440 kit on his XR and in no way does it compare with the WR426. XR's are solid reputable bikes, nothing wrong with them but the WR just has so much more class. It's like comparing toyota to lexus. Both are good but one is just better....

I ride with a couple of guys that have xr500's, and they were always bragging about how much power they had So I took them for a spin to compare against my 426. Well after getting off my bike and hopping on the 500, I twisted the throttle and it felt like a moped
1983 vs 2001! Any real surprise here? There's a generation or two between these bikes and it like comparing the same Hondas to a 1976 Yamaha TT500! ?