HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pgiinc

how do ou guys start your XR650R

19 posts in this topic

I always start mine with the choke on a cold engine. On colder days I will up the idle just a tad and bring it down after it warms.

4 strokes always require choke when cold. Turn it down to 1/2 position as soon as it fires.

For me: 2 kicks with the decompression lever IN, let it out, then push the starter until it meets resistance about 1/2 way through the stroke. Bring it back to the top, pull in the decomrpression release a bit and move the kickstart an inch or two, release lever, let kicker back to the top and give it a good healthy kick.

MIne almost ALWAYS starts on the first kick that way.

Uncorked and pipe, stock carb

4 light kicks with the decompresion on

choke full on

1 kick

turn off choke as soon as it starts

Idle is up a bit due to charging of the Dakar kit

What is wrong with all of you, I use the kick starter :thumbsup:

Edelbrock , twist, kick, go!

Stock fulbulator, I would put it on full choke cold, (the flap on the choke plate was removed) one, maybe two kicks.

Simple. :lame:

Gas on, choke on. Spark OFF.

Three kicks to prime.

Spark ON. Boot it hard, once should do it.

Choke off immediately.

I let it idle while I pull on helmet and goves; it's my daily ride. :thumbsup:

Best,

FJT

seem s like edelbrocks twist and go and the stock carbs a a mess

does it have an automatic compression release or not?

why does it have a compression lever if it has an automatic release.

it was easer to start my 500 2 stroke tickle the carb compression release in down once and when you feel the compression at top kicker ass then release compression lever starts right up

so with the stock carb 650R

fill in the blanks guys

it was easer to start my 500 2 stroke tickle the carb compression release in down once and when you feel the compression at top kicker ass then release compression lever starts right up

fill in the blanks guys

We already did. :thumbsup:

And no, the stock carb is just fine.

fill in the blanks guys

Oh, and understand that aside from costing big $$'s, Edel's can't be fine tuned to nearly the degree the stocker can.

I can start my XR650R with sandals on with the following procedure, First start of day- Gas and Choke on, Decompress Lever in, three light kicks all the way through, then decompress lever off, find dead center, decompress and kick through a notch, then let kick start release back to top and then give it a good kick. Usually starts first kick... If not, just sell it, it is a lemon :thumbsup::lame:... hahaha

Another vote for:

1. gas on, choke on

2. pull in release, kick thru 3 times

3. let go of release, get on TDC and kick it smooth and hard

4. eng lights off, and pull choke all the way off, warm up motor for several minutes

5. pull on helmet and ...you know the rest!

seem s like edelbrocks twist and go and the stock carbs a mess

The manual and auto decompression serve different purposes. The auto decompression prevents the motor from kicking back and trying to start back wards which would most likely break your leg.

When I installed a stage one Hotcam the auto-decompression was disabled. I have not yet had the motor kick back on me. At least that is what I understand to be the difference.

The manual decompression lever is used to easily bump start the bike in any gear and to line up the piston just past top dead center on the compression stroke to make kick starting it easier.

The manual decompression lever is used to easily bump start the bike in any gear

can you explain that procedure? Do you push the bike, clutch and decompression lever pulled, then at speed, release just the clutch and keep that decom lever pulled until something happens in the motor?

Peter

can you explain that procedure? Do you push the bike, clutch and decompression lever pulled, then at speed, release just the clutch and keep that decom lever pulled until something happens in the motor?

Peter

If you stopped on a hill carpeted with loose dirt or leaves and such which would normally skid the tire rather than start the bike you start coasting down the hill with the clutch and decomp pulled and release the clutch and slowly release the decomp. It will fire up before the rear locks up and in a rather short distance most times. A little practice and you can perfect it. On a long day in the woods it beats kicking it every time or hoping you don't lock the rear tire up when trying to compression start. Basically that's what it does is prevent the rear from locking up on a compression start.

What you DON'T want to do is use the manual comp release for shutting down the engine or slowing down. My buddy was doing that on his '98 XR600 and the tab on the exhaust valve rocker that the comp release shaft pushes against broke off, the tab got into the transmission and wreaked havoc.