xr650l smog block off

Does anyone know how to block off the emissions on a 650l without ordering a kit from baja designs or is that the easiest way

Unbolt the emissions crap & make a pair of block off plates, but it's probably easier to just order the kit. time/money :thumbsup:

I just cut off the lines where they connect to the head and welded the holes shut and bolted the blocks back on

I bought the kit, and would say..do the same. Its much easier. And really cheap.

Sometimes they are on Ebay as well....check

I made some blockoff plates with some 1/8 al I had laying around. Very easy, very effective. no big deal.

I know this may sound crazy or as you guys say " the red neck aproach" but you can use a pair of coins (5cts.) just file two flats until it fits between the bolts and add a dab of sealant.I did this to my bike and it held up without leaking for a couple of days while I machined some plates.Keep in mind that you can use the stock bolts since they are flanged wich helps in tightening.I did this not because I'm cheap but rather ask myself WHAT IF..?

I just ordered the kit for my "95 through thumpertalk... $ 30 with shipping....... :thumbsup:

Dude when is it going to get here? I cant wait to see the PIG loose all of that extra crap :thumbsup:

Maby you will gain enough power to keep up with the DRZ. :p Just kidding :lame:

help please do all xr's come with the emission thing, can the all be removed? does it hurt it at all?

do all xr650l have these systems, does it rum better to remove them?

I didn't notice a power difference, but the bike looks better without it.

do all xr650l have these systems, does it rum better to remove them?

Kern, you sound like Sol Rosenberg, so worried. Don't stress about it. :rolleyes:

Removing smog junk will not hurt anything on your bike. It is purely for aesthetics and comfort. Oh, and reducing your pollutants if you care about those things. (I don't care about that stuff because 1 out of every 20 cars on I-15 every morning has Baja California plates which drive our roads with no smog equipment, no smogging, no smog abatement fees, no registration fees, no reflective license plate fees, no nothing. So I'll spit out some extra crud until CARB decides to enact their policies on an even keel. And I'm an environmental geologist!:thumbsup: )

Kern, you sound like Sol Rosenberg, so worried. Don't stress about it. :rolleyes:

Removing smog junk will not hurt anything on your bike. It is purely for aesthetics and comfort. Oh, and reducing your pollutants if you care about those things. (I don't care about that stuff because 1 out of every 20 cars on I-15 every morning has Baja California plates which drive our roads with no smog equipment, no smogging, no smog abatement fees, no registration fees, no reflective license plate fees, no nothing. So I'll spit out some extra crud until CARB decides to enact their policies on an even keel. And I'm an environmental geologist!:thumbsup: )

Classic! A Jerky boys refernce!:rolleyes:

Its kinda silly anyway, all it does is add fresh air to the exhaust. Its just dilluting the overall volume.

Its not going to hurt anything. Plus it looks better after.

Classic! A Jerky boys refernce!:thumbsup:.

LMAO just thining about it and remembering the drunk times rolling on the floor to them!!

bigjerk1.jpg