XR650R top end compared to a XR650L

How would these two compare at top end speeds?

Bone stock and stock gearing?

R is faster.

L tops out about 85-90 (probaly closer to 85 )depending on wind, uphill/downhill etc.

i just had my 650L at 83mph (gps verified) in fourth gear, i hit fifth and it was still pulling hard but i ran out of road. ok the bike isnt 100% stock, but i dont think the exhaust and rejetting would add that much for top end.

my uncorked L model will run 93 on flat level ground gps verified, geared 14-48. I am sure an R is faster, higher compression bigger cam, less flywheel effect, but maintenance is less on the L. I will bore 2mm and up the compression approx. 10.5:1, cam, and clean the head up on my L soon at about 15000 miles, I think it will probably have the R by a fender or two in straight line speed. What do you all think?

big question is how much you jockeys weigh in at

I am 6' 1" and 223-226lbs, pull third gear wheelies all the time. :thumbsup:

5'11" 155lbs...

Im 5'10 at 160lbs. and I had my R gps verified on the railroad tracks at 98 mph, stock gearing and uncorked

Im 5'10 at 160lbs. and I had my R gps verified on the railroad tracks at 98 mph, stock gearing and uncorked

Was it bumpy?

Dirty

Tell me about starting a 650R

does it have a compresssion release?

when it gets warm and if it stalls is it hard to start

will it break your leg if it pops back

I ask these because I used to own a maico/M star 500 and it would do all the above

I just bought a 650L but miss the power my old 500 had but not the starting

The 650R has an automatic compression release and it does not kick back. It also has a manual compression release. The bike is real easy to kick over, not like the old school big thumpers. Having the carb jetted properly is key to starting it hot/cold.

I looked at it this way when buying my L.

I live in CT , there is no desert that im aware of near by that i need to run across at 100 mph.

Its all woods and cow fields , no open spaces that is safe to run 100 mph off road.

The L allowed me a 650 platform to mod up , suspension that was fine for the

riding that i would be doing , and easily registered to tool around on the streets.

It all comes down to your needs.

Ill never find an xr that could even come close to the mind numbing acceleration of my old CR500R so i dont compare them.

I enjoy the L , when i dont anymore , ill sell it and buy something new.

Your new stock L is a dog, until you uncork and mod the piggy. Especially gearing it 14/48 stylee..

You cant believe the difference between a properly modded L and a stocker.

I don't know what everyone elses opinion is here, but my 650R pulls just as hard as my 98cr500 did, and has alot more low end.

I think you need a refresher ride to clear that up. I have a cr500 and a 650r. Both are street legal and both I swap from motard to dirt setups. There is absloutely no comparison. A cr500 motard is an absolute animal. And in the sand w/a 10 paddle tire, not much comes clsoe to a nice cr500, maybe a banshee w/a 10k motor.

How Bout a KX 500?

Was it bumpy?

Dirty

No its was fairly smooth kinda like a gravel road :thumbsup:

Top speed has to do mostly with horsepower/weight/Drag.

The XL650L :thumbsup: uncorked is 348+pounds ready to ride and gives you 45bhp (that is at the engine-uncorked) XR650R is 308+ pounds ready to ride and has 55bhp The CR500 weighs less @ 258 pounds (You have steelies and AF's) and has more stock horsepower 64bhp (that is at the engine). It red lines 8400. Primary gearing is different so sprocket size like 14/48 will not give you the same top speed.

All bikes red line at close to the same rpm. Clearly if the CR500 is getting traction it is smoking the other two bikes.

But, I was a the Pismo sand drags second weekend of August and my XR650R won everything. Jay Lewis was second on his CR500 running NOS (Nitrous Oxide) He did pull my bike once out of five races. (Bad start on my bike)

Some things to consider. I was running a sand snake 10 paddle, he tried both a 14 paddle dominator and a 12 paddle Predator. He was port and polished, trick carb. V-Force reeds and everything else you can throw into a CR500 to make it win the sand drags......even an extended swing arm. My bike was bone stock :lame: OK.......NOT!

680cc, 11:1 piston, 42mm edelbrock, cam, over sized intake valves, Full Moriwaki system you get the picture. Both bikes are putting out about 72bhp and 58~59rwhp on the dyno, his without NOS. With NOS he should be somewhere about 85~88bhp that would be somewhere around 66rwhp! In the end it was the bike with less horsepower winning.

Here are some reasons. I am 190 pounds he is 280 pounds, The CR500 moves more sand turning higher rpm's sooner but, not moving the bike forward. He needs to change the gearing even more. We did change gearing, paddles and it helped but, not enough. Without NOS XR650R with stock engine but, Edelbrock, Header/muffler T4, and a 12 paddle was taking the CR500. XR650R was 190, Jay still 280, Once the CR500 hit the NOS it would just leave the almost stock XR650R in a cloud of sand. A lot has to do with hook up on the CR500 and the more constant pull of the torque of the XR650R. Once the CR500 would plane out (get on top of the sand) it would really move but, the CR500 would dig deep moving tons of sand because the tire would spin faster - sooner digging down as the XR650R would start moving forward as it left. In the sand most times the XR650R will take the CR500. This is not true on the street in the CR500 is setup right and the rider can put all the power to the tar. Stock UN-corked the XR650R will do 99mph stock gearing, change the tire size and the gearing and or what ever and you will get maybe 102 if the rider is light enough. That is all the speed you are going to get pushing 500 pounds with 48rwhp. Do the math. I have had my Stock engine, Mikuni carb., header/muffler, larger tire, 14/48, GPS 102, tucked down a slight hill, cycling the rev. limiter. 680cc bike on dirt, Zoo road, Baja 250 just North Sanfelipi, GPS 118+ (hard to look at that speed) and there was room for a little more, 15/49 gearing. I am sure on tar it would be faster.

Well the XL650L has only a 8.3:1 compression piston, SOHC; four-valve RFVC

but, with a 10:1 piston and stage two cam, pumper carb. you can get 50hp and this will push you over the 100mph mark.

I looked at it this way when buying my L.

I live in CT , there is no desert that im aware of near by that i need to run across at 100 mph.

Its all woods and cow fields , no open spaces that is safe to run 100 mph off road.

The L allowed me a 650 platform to mod up , suspension that was fine for the

riding that i would be doing , and easily registered to tool around on the streets.

It all comes down to your needs.

Ill never find an xr that could even come close to the mind numbing acceleration of my old CR500R so i dont compare them.

I enjoy the L , when i dont anymore , ill sell it and buy something new.

Its a 650 with the max power of a 400, but it has it everywhere- makes it not 'fast' but very easy to ride over all kinds of mind-numbingly hard stuff.

I miss the hills and rocks in CT- any little trail ride had all kinds of trials-style obstacles.

Dave

I own a yamaha warrior 350 four stroke quad (jetted/piped etc...) .

The L has tons!!! more torque and power. i know its not Fast

but IMO it has a bit more pull than a 400cc four popper.

I like the trail riding up here in the north east also , never a dull moment :thumbsup:

i live 2 miles from the power lines .

There is a good 3 mile run that runs between 2 roads that i usualy hit a few times a week.

theres some woods section , some sand , few hill climbs and 2 stream crossings (not to mention rocks!!).

The L is fun there becasuse i enter on one road , ride the 3 mile trails and pop out on the other road .

pulling up the sand/gravel hills is where the 650 shows her torque quite nicely.