Oil dripping out of air filter box?

I hope you XR experts can help me out a bit.

A buddy of mine bought a 2006 XR650 a couple of days back and we have now been out twice to ride. We noticed a lot of oil dripping/leaking out of the air filter box out the lid on the side. This leaking didn't seem to stop although the engine oil level remained the same.

Where else could the oil come from? Is the transmission oil separate to the engine oil on the Honda's? If so, is there a breather from the transmission leading to the air box?

I am puzzled at the source of the oil, as it doesn't seem to stop. :applause: Any ideas or checks you guys can recommend? ?

Sorry for the multiple posts - my computer is screwed up. The bike has a dry sump oil system. You have to follow the instructions about checking the oil level. The bike has to be warmed up before you check the oil level on the dip stick.

I suggest you do a little research on the net. Google is your friend. There are many sites that address your very problem, and all the other known XR650R issues/quirks.

Here's one http://www.xr650r.us/

And quote:

'The issue:

A lot of guys don't read the manual and don't understand the theory behind a dry- sump oil system. They end up with an airbox full of oil and a blown countershaft seal.

The Fix:

Just read the manual! You can't check the oil cold. When the bike sits, the oil drains from the reservoir, making the stick read low. If you add oil now, it puts the 2qt system .5qts over. This excess oil gets forced into the airbox via the vent, dripping out the bottom of the box on your new boots, or it pushes it's way by the countershaft seal. Not good. A bit of reading on the system can be found here and here .

Run the bike a few minutes to get everything up to level, shut her down, then check the oil. Piece of cake fix for a question asked by probably 50% of the new users. "Why is there oil in my airbox?"

If it's not an engine oil issue than it may just be filter oil being pulled out of the filter by gravity. When I've over-oiled my filter I've had it drip out of my airbox in the AZ heat. UNI filter oil is particularly bad about this. I prefer Bel-Ray filter oil for that reason.

also, when checking the oil...after shutting the bike down MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS LEVEL!!!!!!!! I did an oil change in my driveway (very small incline) and when I checked the level it was low. I was about to put another .5L in when i decided to move it in the street where its flat...cheked the oil again and it was dead on at the top of the max fill line! the bike needs to be level. ?

If it's not an engine oil issue than it may just be filter oil being pulled out of the filter by gravity. When I've over-oiled my filter I've had it drip out of my airbox in the AZ heat. UNI filter oil is particularly bad about this. I prefer Bel-Ray filter oil for that reason.

Yeah, when it's real hot the air filter oil will drip on mine also.