Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
02YZ426

Ready Filters...Take A Look At This!

21 posts in this topic

Ok, So today I decided to give the Ready Filter a try, thought it would be a good idea since so many swear by them. I liked the idea of the rubber grommet where the bolt goes through. So why didn't my filter come with one? It showed it in the catalog... Anyways no big deal until I see this fit

DSC_0269-1.jpg

Now that looks like a world of trouble to me.... I am only lightly pulling back on the filter. Now you can't do that with my No Toil , Twin Air , and stock filter! They have a big hole cut in the center of the filter... like where a grommet would go... so whats up with that? Did they forget to put one in? Either way.... This baby is going right in the garbage!! :thumbsup: What a waste of money.

I have used those before and the ones for my KTM ad the rubber gromet. When I bought my CRF the service mangr told me he doesn't recommend those. I can understand maybe for limited length of time, but for a long dusty ride I would use twin air.

Zipty racing makes a nice aluminum end for the filter cage. This would solve your problem.

Zipty racing makes a nice aluminum end for the filter cage. This would solve your problem.

Good idea... except I shouldn't have to buy anthing extra to make the filter work! The hole is cut too big.... its like twice the size of my other filters!

I contacted the company that makes the filters and they said there is no rubber grommet! So I guess this is acceptable then? Have any of you guys with YZFs had any trouble with dirt getting by? I only plan on using it once for a track day.... not like I will ride for days with it in there.

That looks pretty (bad) to me, and I was considering using them in the future. To help you out though, no, never used one so I couldn't tell 'ya. Sorry. My Twin-Air, and stock, like you said, have the small hole for the bolt, thats it.

I contacted the company that makes the filters and they said there is no rubber grommet! So I guess this is acceptable then?
I have seen and used filters with no grommet. However, the hole was not nearly that large, and appeared to clamp and seal on the top end of the mounting post. I agree with you on the one you have; the hole is too large, and I wouldn't use it.

The manufacturer of the filter said after seeing the pics of the fitment on my bike that they are now considering adding the grommet for the YZF line :thumbsup:

Uh, ....

Good Thinking(??)

Haha... ya, I kinda figured they would sort this out before they started production! I'm surprised I am the first to mention this problem in the YZF forum... either I'm the only one to try one, or people dont pay as much attention to detail as I do :thumbsup:

Haha... ya, I kinda figured they would sort this out before they started production! I'm surprised I am the first to mention this problem in the YZF forum... either I'm the only one to try one, or people dont pay as much attention to detail as I do

As I stated before, I use them all of the time and I have no problems. Lately its been about 1 per week. I have had one filter that was slightly loose there, but it sealed fine. I do pay attention to detail.

ZipTy racing used to make a washer, I am not sure if they still do, to place here to help seal the filter on Yamahas.

Since when does Yamaha put a grommet on their filters?

They don't, and since the hole is small it doesn't matter. Some Ready Filters do use the grommet... and the one for the YZF doesn't. Shouldn't be a problem, but they have an extra large hole that allows the filter to slip over the cage.... So if they are going to put that big of a hole, then they need the grommet in there.

I just bought 2 and I am glad I saw this that hole did look big to me

I am gonnna check it tomorrow

I did try the filter out despite my concern, and it didn't let any dirt through. I kept checking every other pit or so and it was ok. But it wasn't too dusty today at the track. If I was going on a long ride or a real dusty ride, I would definitely use my No Toil instead. They are good in a bind I guess.

OK - I'm new here but I bought a Ready Filter and installed it a couple of days before a trail ride with some friends. Sounded like the hot ticket to me. On the Friday before we left, I tried starting and warming up the bike. You know, just to be sure... I can be paranoid that way.

So I start the bike and it fires on the second kick, like usual. I click the choke off and try to rev the thing and it dies. I know not to put a freshly oiled filter in the bike and try to ride away. That's why I did it on Wednesday for a ride on Saturday.

Still fouled the plug. Stripped the bike down to get to the plug and could not remember where I put my spare. I cleaned the fouled plug with a wire brush and tried to start it again. Fouled again. Repeated the process 4 or 5 times, figuring that I had left the filter out long enough and that it could not be the problem.

Finally decided to take off the filter to see what happens. Bike runs fine. Took the already cleaned stock filter, oiled it, and installed. Hung the Ready filter in the garage. Waited until morning to try to start the beast. Runs fine. Noticed the ground under the Ready filter had drips of filter oil and the oil in the filter had migrated to the bottom.

I don't know what they use to oil their filters, but it isn't very sticky and it did not seem to stay in the filter foam for very long. I cleaned it all out and I will oil it with the Silkolene spray I always use. It will stay in a plastic bag on the garage shelf for emergency use.

I ripped my twin air cleaning it and switched to the Ready Filter (my buddy buys them by the case). I used the Ready Filters 5 times on my bike before I bought two new twin airs. I can say that I had never had a problem with them and I was riding in extremely dusty conditions this summer. The washer on the bolt sufficiently covered the larger hole. I would use them again in a pinch.

I just took a rubber gromet and added to the filter myself. No biggie and I have been using them for 2 yrs now with no problems. Just go get a rubber gromet/bushing from another filter and use it if your worried.