XR-650-L engine replacement or swap

I recently blew up my 1994 XR-650-L. One of the tranny gears blew up and turned my engine into a meat grinder. I have two choices; buy a used engine somewhere or rebuild this one which will cost me ~$1000. Its quite dificult to find this motor.

Do any of the other XR motors fit into this bike?

More importantly does anyone know where to find one?

Even if it is an XR-XXX-R model I would consider the swap

-Will

One of the dirt bike mags did a story on just what you are doing to an XRL 650. Replaced the gears with XR 600 gears when it was rebuilt. Ran a whole lot better off road and was an easy swap in. I think it was Dirt Bike, the one which has Webb as an editor. Steny

The gears are very expensive. Recently I replaced the 4 gears that make up second and third. Just the gears cost over $200 from the cheapest source that I know of. Depending on what was damaged, I would guess it will be over $1000 just for the parts.

The XR600 tranny swap is a good thing to do if you ride in the dirt. XR600 transmissions show up on ebay from time to time for a lot less money that the price of new gears. If only the tranny is damaged this is a good option.

So how much does a new motor from the factory cost? $3000 or something along those lines? Its either that or find another 94 - 96 XR650L which would run $3000 or less but with who knows how many miles on it.

Any year XR650L or any (almost any?) year XR600R motor will slide right in.

Dave

I recently blew up my 1994 XR-650-L. One of the tranny gears blew up and turned my engine into a meat grinder. I have two choices; buy a used engine somewhere or rebuild this one which will cost me ~$1000. Its quite dificult to find this motor.

Do any of the other XR motors fit into this bike?

More importantly does anyone know where to find one?

Even if it is an XR-XXX-R model I would consider the swap

-Will

A little off topic but, was there any warning, (noise, vibration), that this was going to happen? What were the riding conditions when it failed.

The XR600R and 650L have entirely different power generation and ignition systems. To stuff an XR600 engine into a 650L frame is easy... Getting the elevtricals changed over will be a pain.

The gear set on the XR600R is FAR better than the gear set in the 650L. You will new a new main shaft, countershaft, and every one of the gears. You are looking at spend well over 1000 for just those.

You can purchase a brand new XR650L engine from Service Honda in Hammond Indiana. They can get different year engines, which are basically the same, but the newer engines tollerate running lean better.