Saugus Speedway.....

Yeah, the missus and I really miss the weekend races there. There was a "family" grandstand section and a "rowdy" turn 4 section. My 10 year old never got to go before they shut it down. Lots of people were bent when they closed the doors.

Desto's right about the grandstands. At least that was party line. Personally, I think they just didn't want to deal with the race crowd anymore-not enough money in it. ? Funny thing is, the grandstands stiil sit there, unused.

Several years ago someone held go-kart races on the weekend, but it was a private thing, and no-one was allowed spectate in the stands.

Yeap, i live @ the top of Whites Cyn on top of the hill / near Zarhts track,

Don't know why the CARTS stop running?? I used to go to the races almost every weekend was cheap for the family.. I saw the 1st NASCAR TRUCK race there and i believe after that they closed. They also held a MOTOcross there also

I could here the cars from my house on top of the hill, but it was the grandstands that needed to be updated after the earthquake... and they didn't want to spend the money..

Yes it was closed because of the grandstand issue. But I think it was more then that. Someone offered to replace all of the grandstands for FREE years ago. I think it was due to more then just the grandstand issues. I would love to see it re-open. I can tell you it kept a lot of people out doing family things when it was open. I remember going to the speed way many times as a family. This valley needs something like that again.

Yes it was closed because of the grandstand issue. But I think it was more then that. Someone offered to replace all of the grandstands for FREE years ago. I think it was due to more then just the grandstand issues. I would love to see it re-open. I can tell you it kept a lot of people out doing family things when it was open. I remember going to the speed way many times as a family. This valley needs something like that again.

Ditto ?

I am the Speedway's Contractor. It's comical to see all of the opinions and stories about what happened......most everything ever said is wrong. Unfortunately I cannot violate the Owner and Mangement's trust and tell you all how it really is.

The worst part is that the likelyhood of racing at the Saugus Speedway ever again is nil. If you really wanted a chance (and most people do) at these kind of events to happen there again, the start has to come from the City of Santa Clarita and it has to start there with the City Manager, Ken Pulskamp. If the City wants it, then it could happen again. If not, never.

Are you saying that it had nothing to do with the grandstands???

That's what was said years ago ? I went to school w/ Frank Ferry once our Mayor and tried to tell him to get a track going maybe up the 14 by the cement place, maybe make the city make money? but said it takes alot and the city needs to behind it.. We could see what happened to the plans for Castiac's track that Neil was trying to get going- but thats was shot down by pressure from the neighbors :applause:

I am the Speedway's Contractor. It's comical to see all of the opinions and stories about what happened......most everything ever said is wrong. Unfortunately I cannot violate the Owner and Mangement's trust and tell you all how it really is.

The worst part is that the likelyhood of racing at the Saugus Speedway ever again is nil. If you really wanted a chance (and most people do) at these kind of events to happen there again, the start has to come from the City of Santa Clarita and it has to start there with the City Manager, Ken Pulskamp. If the City wants it, then it could happen again. If not, never.

We all have heard a number of things over the years. I don't think any of us know the truth. The speedway has never came out and said what the truth of closing it was, if the stuff above it not right. If all of the people knew the truth then we do have something to go to the city on. I know if we got enough people on this issue we could get it reopened. It might come down to having Mr. Ken Pulskamp removed from office if he didn't want to work with the people in this city about it. If it's due to a noise issue that also could be fixed a little. I remember sitting her at my house that's about three to five miles away from the track and still hearing them race. But that was late at night. Start them up sooner and it would fix the issue a little. If you can have the track people post something on the website they have, we as the people in this city could help get it back open. What does this city have right now for the young people. Not a lot, this means they go out and party and kill people driving drunk. I was told SCV had/has the highest death toll in CA on people under the age 18. This tells me we are doing something wrong in SCV.

Bring back the figure eight! :applause: Demolition derby! ? I have some great memories of the Speedway on Saturday nights as a kid. It's unfortunate, I don't think that place will ever open again for car racing, there are too many tight asses out here in SCV now. It probably got shut down for noise and it being too "redneck" for the "new and improved" SCV. :applause:

My dad was in the kart club that used to race there. I'm not sure why they stopped racing karts there but I believe the kart club just fizzled out, I don't believe the Speedway kicked them out. Your chances might be pretty good at getting some Supermoto going there.

I'm sure that the Owner's of the Property have their eyes on the bigger prize... development of the property for retail. To that end, they have probably negotiated a development agreement with the City which included shutting the track down for racing. This would explain the secrecy.

We all have heard a number of things over the years. I don't think any of us know the truth. The speedway has never came out and said what the truth of closing it was, if the stuff above it not right. If all of the people knew the truth then we do have something to go to the city on. I know if we got enough people on this issue we could get it reopened. It might come down to having Mr. Ken Pulskamp removed from office if he didn't want to work with the people in this city about it. If it's due to a noise issue that also could be fixed a little. I remember sitting her at my house that's about three to five miles away from the track and still hearing them race. But that was late at night. Start them up sooner and it would fix the issue a little. If you can have the track people post something on the website they have, we as the people in this city could help get it back open. What does this city have right now for the young people. Not a lot, this means they go out and party and kill people driving drunk. I was told SCV had/has the highest death toll in CA on people under the age 18. This tells me we are doing something wrong in SCV.

Mr. Pulskamp can't be removed from office as he is not an elected official. You are on the right base with most everything else. Unfortunately most of the "will of the people" begins to die out as soon as you ask them to show up at a City Council meeting and speak their piece.

This is why the "will" never will. Remember as well, if the deal doesn't include an income stream for the City......no deal. Sad but true.

I have personally had this discussion with more City Council and Planning Commission members than you can imagine. I would like it too.

I wrote the people that own the track today about this post. It seems that it is not a city issue, more a $$ issue to run it. Here is what I got back in a email from the people that own the track.

Tom

I can appreciate your passion for seeing Saugus Speedway reopened. Whatever the combination of reasons back in ’95 that led to the closing of the track, those are not currently the biggest concern. Back then, we were the only profitable small race track in Southern California . The wooden grandstands were of concern due to the (then) recent earthquake and their age & condition. The concern now is the sheer cost of rebuilding and the current economic climate in small track racing. As you may or may not have noticed, most of the local small tracks in Southern California have closed. It is my understanding that even Irwindale continues to struggle. Costs to hold races have skyrocketed yet the attendance $$ are not there to support it.

For this year, the subject has been closed and there is nothing on the books that I know of for 2006-2007 regarding bringing back racing to Saugus Speedway.

We will continue as a Special Events Venue for the Santa Clarita Valley. Should anything change, we will keep your email address on file and we will advise all the race fans who have pledged their support and contact us wanting us to restart Saugus Speedway.

Sincerely,

Terri Burbank

GM

Saugus Speedway

Matt Piru tomorrow???

BigDesto, I can't this weekend, I am on-call at work. But yeah, we gotta get together and ride soon. I am definitely riding next weekend seeing how I haven't ridden in like 5 weeks now. I've been nursing an injury. :applause: Can you believe that 1Hondalover, I really torked my leg on that Randsburg ride, hurt myself more than I thought. I am really itching to ride though, this has been the longest without riding in years, I've been lucky. OldMan, we need to get a TT ride going again, last time was fun. :applause:

Goodluck with trying to get some Supermoto practice going at the Speedway. Who knows, maybe they will allow "practicing", just not "racing". Goodluck! ?