Is the Q the only way to quiet an 02 WR426?

I know the newer bikes change the ignition map or something to pass sound, and thus there are a lot more choices for the newer bikes.

My bike has the white bros headpipe and E series. I'd like to keep the headpipe, but I'm hearing that the newer E2 barely passes sound.

I know the Q works, but would like to have something a bit different. Yosh?

As a last resort I could put on the stocker and buy an insert, but I doubt it'd fit the WB headpipe. (?)

I'm sick of not riding the thing because of being scared of a sound ticket ?

I had a White Bro's E series (all discs installed) on my '02 when I bought it, loudest damn bike I ever had. I replaced it with an original Q and Powerbomb header and it quieted it down some but it was still annoyingly loud. One side effect worth mentioning is that with the White Bro's set up I was running black spark plug rich. With the FMF set up It went lean so it obviously flows better. Back to the sound issue, once I packed the Q with Silent Sport packing it made all the difference in the world. Now it's a pleasure to ride and way under the sound limit. I think the only real difference with the Q2 is that they come packed with Silent Sport from the factory.

I have the newer E-2 on my 02 WR 426 its pretty quiet but even with the Q or Q-2 they are close to 96 Dbs 96 is not real loud at all.I had the old E series with the discs ran only four discs with the quiet core it was 102 Dbs>My New E-2 has not been tested but thats how quiet it is nobody notices it.Even at the offroad races.No matter which pipe you get just make sure you keep it packed well it will be a lot quieter.If I was going to buy a new pipe it would be a Q-2 or the White Bros. new E-2

Yep, my 04' has an original Q with SS Powerbomb SX and I'm running about 93 to 94 db's. I just re-packed with FMF packing specific to the Q but I hear that the Silent Sport is better.........

I can tell you first hand that Silent Sport works way better than FMF packing in that specific application, assuming the FMF packing is the same old multi layered stuff that looks like it would make an excellent insulation blanket for a steam line. FMF's new "performance" packing looks like silent sport painted red and cost's twice as much...

I can tell you first hand that Silent Sport works way better than FMF packing in that specific application, assuming the FMF packing is the same old multi layered stuff that looks like it would make an excellent insulation blanket for a steam line. FMF's new "performance" packing looks like silent sport painted red and cost's twice as much...

Its a pre-fabbed "pillow" of sorts that is sized to fit the Q ? it was easy enough to install but the bike is still a little to close to our 98db race reqmnt and depending on how many bong hits the sound test guys took that morning you may not always get consistent readings.... If I repack the old girl before she sells I'll check out the Silent Sport....

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 00 Wr400F in july it had a E Series (12 discs), figured it was way too loud got a FMF Q2 seemed quieter. Went to a CCC event in MI and failed the sound test 98dB they require 94dB. The bike has an aftermarket header. does anyone know if this makes a difference and does the FMF powerbomb work in bringing the sound output down.