Woods and Putting around friendly 450?

Hello!

Without boring you to death with a bunch of details, I may be getting a sweet deal on an '06 450. WR is a better choice for my riding, but the deal is on a YZ. Are there things I can do to make it a friendly machine for everything from light MX duty to tight singletrack to putting with the kids?

I currently have an '02 XR400 that I like, but I feel it needs less weight and more suspension. I wouldn't mind more power... Improved cool factor is nice too. ?

I heard from someone that the gearing will be bad for the tight stuff, but maybe that was for the 4spd tranny. Maybe the 5spd has cured this issue. I also heard she'll spit coolant if I idle it too much. I've heard something about a water bottle mod as a coolant resivoir, and possibly a 14t front sprocket for better woods gearing.

Can you guys verify or debunk this? Any other modifications?

Honestly, if I bought a WR, I would want to remove the lights and the starter (battery, coil) and stuff anyway. If I can kick start an XR400, I can kick a YZ450... I think.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Oh, yeah... The search function was down, so my apologies if there is another thread on this. A link would be great.

Thanks again.

Buy a flywheel, a spark arrestor, some hand guards, a power now for better throttle response from 1/4 throttle on. Which will help when your in the really tight, nasty stuff keep the bike from bogging down. Maybe gear it down a tooth of to. But the 2006 yz450 is raelly not a brute.

I rode my 450 around Taylor Park Reservoir last year with stock gearing and never had a problem. I did have a flywheel weight on it though as well as some bark busters. I do recommend going up to around the 52 tooth sprocket like xcape has though, it just makes 1st gear not so tall and better for the tight stuff. WR's are hogs in the woods, get the YZ...

I rode my 450 around Taylor Park Reservoir last year with stock gearing and never had a problem. I did have a flywheel weight on it though as well as some bark busters. I do recommend going up to around the 52 tooth sprocket like xcape has though, it just makes 1st gear not so tall and better for the tight stuff. WR's are hogs in the woods, get the YZ...

I rode my 426 out there in mid August, even went up Taylor pass. I think you will be fine with handguards, the right bar bend for your height, a JD jet kit, a 13 tooth CS sprocket, spark arrestor, and a decent skidplate. I think a flywheel weight would be nice but I think of it as more of a luxury item than the ones I listed.

What is your weight/height?

Definitely buy the YZ. I ride lots of tight, steep single track with my YZ 426 (yes, I realize we are talking about an '06 450) and the only things I have done to make the bike work better on trails is bark busters, a big thumpertalk skidplate, and I changed the gearing to 13/50 (stock on that bike was 14/49). I also run Engine Ice coolant and have never experienced any boil over or coolant loss even on long tight sections that were all 1st gear and clutch work.

A Rekluse clutch would be sweet also...I haven't ponied up the money for one yet but there have been many times that I wished I had one.

Buy a flywheel, a spark arrestor, some hand guards, a power now for better throttle response from 1/4 throttle on. Which will help when your in the really tight, nasty stuff keep the bike from bogging down. Maybe gear it down a tooth of to. But the 2006 yz450 is raelly not a brute.

Yea the motor is perfect for whatever your ding tight or motoX. Its not a brute it has great throttle response.

Thanks so much for the input guys. I really appreciate it!

Here's the bad news... The YZ sold.

Here's the good news... My buddy who owns the Yammie dealership says he will sell me a new '07 WR450 at a great price.

I didn't realize they made a bunch of changes to the '07 WR. They addressed pretty much everything about the '06 that I didn't like. Steel frame, ugly plastic, exhaust...

So, I think I'll be pretty happy. I may even keep the magic button. Hell, I may even make it barely legal and ride to the trails near my house!

To say I am excited is an understatement... I wish I didn't have to wait until December though. Anyway, I am on the list to get the second unit he takes delivery on. The first is spoken for...

Thanks again for the advice. If for some reason this deal doesn't work out, or I just can't wait, I know what I need to do to live happily with a YZ.

This has been the most helpful forum out of three I post on!

?:applause::applause:

CSS9961,

I don't want to burst your bubble, but a WR is a bit more expensive than a YZF, so you could probably buy a YZF for the same price or maybe even less.

I own a WR450 2006 and I am selling it to buy a 2007 YZF450. The WR is really a hog, it weighs too much in tight woods and is really not very pleasant to ride in MX. It's really at its best only in large and fast trails.

Try to get the same deal with your friend for a nice White 2007!

Thanks for the comments, but like the title of the post states, I will mostly be riding woods and putting around with my kids. So I think the WR has the better tranny for that. Cost really isn't an issue here.

I'm coming off the XR400, so I would imagine that the WR is quite a bit lighter than that, although I have not compared the weight.

Plus, since I am trading in my street bike for this deal, I may decide to title the bike later on.

I would still consider a YZ if it comes to that, with the excellent advice from the folks on this board.

1. Get the WR.

2. Keep the starter.

3. Get the plate.

OK, you talked me into it!

?

Sounds like it is pretty easy to get it on the road in Colorado.

Horn, Mirror, Brake light wired up. Ba-da BING!

It's like two...two...TWO bikes in one!

Hmmm.... Motard????