fuel leak after I went down

I was going up a pretty step hill on my 98 YZ400. Things went wrong and the bike ended up on it's side wheels facing up hill. Fuel was coming out pretty fast. I didn't get a chance to find out where I just got it up as fast as I could. I would like to know if this is normal or can this be fixed.

I was going up a pretty step hill on my 98 YZ400. Things went wrong and the bike ended up on it's side wheels facing up hill. Fuel was coming out pretty fast. I didn't get a chance to find out where I just got it up as fast as I could. I would like to know if this is normal or can this be fixed.

If the bike is on its side it will leak gas out of the overflo tube. Your bike is fine...now if gas is coming out when in the correct upright position (with the bike either on or off) you have a problem (e.g. float valve prob).

If the bike is on its side it will leak gas out of the overflo tube. Your bike is fine...now if gas is coming out when in the correct upright position (with the bike either on or off) you have a problem (e.g. float valve prob).
Sounds right to me.. :thumbsup:

Gravity. The float bowl has to be vented in order to function, so if the bike lays down or gets inverted, it leaks.

Petrol's coming out of carb overflow pipes and possible the petrol tanks breather pipe if you dont have a one way valve.

Muz

:thumbsup:

Well, I am glad nothing is broken. But on the other hand it is too bad it can't be fixed.

One more reason to go to fuel injection.

When my son was learning to ride I think he lost more fuel through the vent/breather/overflow tubes than he burned in the engine. :applause: Kinda my fault though, I took him on trails that were far too difficult for a beginner...the upside to that is that he got pretty good really fast. :thumbsup:

Well, I am glad nothing is broken. But on the other hand it is too bad it can't be fixed.

There is nothing to fix. A gravity fed carb wasn't meant to run upside down or completely on it's side. :thumbsup: