HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XR 650

Need help finding top dead center

14 posts in this topic

When I look at the flywheel I see three marks on the flywheel turn by :

I

I F

I T (T is horizontal, not vertical)

The clearance are not right when I adjusted at I T. My CD Manual shows the T vertical & seems simple to line up. I'm adjusting the intake .004 & exhaust .005. Can someone explain what I"m doing wrong.

Thanks

When you look inside the spark plug hole is the piston at the top of the cylinder when the pointer is on the "T" ?

It needs to be on T on compression stroke and if you rotate it backwards even the slightest it decompresses (auto decompressor) and adjustments will be wrong the decomp exhaust valve will start to open. Put your finger over the spark plug hole and rotate it you will feel when you are on compression stroke then go slow till tou are on the T if you reverse at all you need to start over compession is every other crankshaft rotation.

It's a L. Forgot to put it in the title.

Another example of why there should be a separate L and R forum.

It needs to be on T on compression stroke and if you rotate it backwards even the slightest it decompresses (auto decompressor) and adjustments will be wrong the decomp exhaust valve will start to open. Put your finger over the spark plug hole and rotate it you will feel when you are on compression stroke then go slow till tou are on the T if you reverse at all you need to start over compession is every other crankshaft rotation.

This is exactly right, I thought I was stupid the first time I tried this as well.

Another example of why there should be a separate L and R forum.

No, its an example of why it would be convenient for you if there were seperate forums.

D