HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
philipstjohn

Splash Guard wear on XR650R

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if the wear on the splash guard is a sign of improper bike set up, or just normal for the bike? I bought an used 06, and the guard was worn from the chain over an inch deep into it, and the bottom 2 inches or so of the guard was worn off from the "tire" on the right bottom portion if looking from the rear. The chain was loose, so I tightened it up. Then, I replaced the guard and on the first ride "around the nieghborhood", on road cruising only, I noticed the same wear beginning. I just want to make sure I am not over looking anything in the bike's set up.

Give me some imput if you can. Thanks :thumbsup:

It seems to be a normal wear pattern...Mine has done the same and I know it's set up and wheel centered just fine...

I actually trimmed mine so it don't look like crap..

same here - just put on some brand new D606s and they rub so bad that the holes I have in there will only get bigger. Going backwards with the new tires creates a loud cracking sound as the knobs try to tear off the guard.

My chain is set properly but it's so short (previous owner sized it perfectly for 15-45 gearing) that the rear axle has to be right at the first marker in the slider holes. I assume if you have a longer chain you can get the tire away from the splash guard, but since mine is already all torn up, I don't really care until the winter teardown.

A "sock" over the rear shock may be an alternative, but I think there would be a lot of dirt flying past it to carb and other parts I'd rather want to protect. Can't imagine that a new guard would cost too much.

Thanks... just wanted to make sure. I adjusted and checked everything, and it seemed to want to wear the same on the new guard. I noticed the new guard sat in place between the swingarm and tire, I wonder if you heated and bent it closer to the swingarm, if you would have less wear?

I think the key is the tire size and location of the rear axle. Move it back 1/2" and most of the wear should be over, but in my case the chain is too short. Since it's a "worn" chain that clearly has been shortened to accomodate the 15-45 gearing, the question comes up - what chain to replace it with? I'll also want to go back to 14-48 gearing and need a longer chain for that.

Peter

Can anyone tell me if the wear on the splash guard is a sign of improper bike set up, or just normal for the bike? I bought an used 06, and the guard was worn from the chain over an inch deep into it, and the bottom 2 inches or so of the guard was worn off from the "tire" on the right bottom portion if looking from the rear. The chain was loose, so I tightened it up. Then, I replaced the guard and on the first ride "around the nieghborhood", on road cruising only, I noticed the same wear beginning. I just want to make sure I am not over looking anything in the bike's set up.

Give me some imput if you can. Thanks :thumbsup:

Normal... Keep that chain adjusted.

62706555-L.jpg

On my last couple of bikes I have zip tied part of a used tube around the back half of the shock spring and eliminated the guard altogether. One of those shock socks does the same thing. Works just fine and there is nothing to rub, but if you ride in mud it may not offer the same protection.

You really only have a few choices. Add a link to the chain or buy a new chain and cut it a link longer. Or buy several of the mud splash guards so you have a replacement when you need them. Or buy a shorter tire.

They should not wear through as quickly as you have indicated so it sounds like your chain is a bit short for the knobby you have mounted. It is a normal wear pattern but I usually get a year or two of constant riding before I have to replace mine. The picture is a good representation of the way these wear.

The wear looks simular to the picture, but a little more in the chain area. When I got the bike, the chain was real loose, so this makes sense. It looks like the stock chain, and the bike has had 606's on it from day one, with a heavier rider.

a very loose chain will have more lateral play and bite into it when the rear suspension is compressed. a 650R that i found for a buddy to buy had a really loose chain and it had eaten quite a bit of the guard in that area. not from age, but a big guy riding it around jumping it made it loosen WAY up and slap around.