Help: New owner, noise question

I recently picked up an used 2005 WR450. Once the bike warms up, it makes a whistling/grinding noise (kinda like a bearing going out). It seems to be in the clutch/transmission area. It quiets down somewhat when the clutch is pulled in. I know these bikes make a lot of mechanical noise, but does anyone else's bike do this?

Thanks,

Paul

Drain the oil, pop the clutch cover off, undo the pressure plate and take a look at your plates. If the friction plates look burnt, or the steel plates are blued, time to change things out. It's a very simple operation, nothing to be intimidated by. Changing out the clutch is often a good idea when you buy a used dirt bike anyway since it is such an oft-abused component...SC

:applause:

Man I have an '05 and it makes a little different noise if I have it in neutral and no clutch. If I pull in the clutch then it goes away but its still there in my mind. You might be like me. When I got the bike I heard every little thing and it was my first Fourskie too. The valves on these thangs make plenty of racket and it used to bug me. But after a while you just sorta figure out that these biaches are strong runnin and they are supposed to make noise. :applause:

If your clutches are engaging good then don't sweat it. Just ride it :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Man I have an '05 and it makes a little different noise if I have it in neutral and no clutch. If I pull in the clutch then it goes away but its still there in my mind.

Same with me...real faint noise until clutch pulled in. At first I was concerned about it, but I eventually just got over it.

If its new to you and there is a aluminum skid plate w/o foam drop the plate and try it again.

The day I installed my plate and rode it I thought the engine was coming apart. Once I installed foam the foam all was much quieter.

Honestly, It was so noisy I couldn't believe it.

I've had my 05 since new and it's always made the grinding noise which quietens down when I pull the clutch in. It's worse when the bash plate is on. I think it's normal for these bikes. Probably the thin cases etc.

I would take a look at the clutch just to be safe!

Sounds like you don't have a major problem, they are all noisy to a point, but how noisy is yours? and does it go away completely when you pull the clutch in??