Gear Ratios

Hello All,

I have an 06 YZ450F and am looking to add 2 teeth to my rear sprocket. Someone said I should go to a 14/55 instead of a 13/51. Both have almost identical final drive rations 3.929 vs 3.923, respectively.

Ok gear whizzes, my question is how does changing the front sprocket effect the ride of the bike, assuming the final drive is identical (ie. 14/56 and 13/52). Besides need a longer chain:) Why would 14/55 be better than 13/51?

Thanks

Gerald28

06 YZ250 #28

06 YZ450F #29

It would be better because:

>The chain bends less around larger sprockets, and use a little less power because of it.

> Larger sprockets wear more slowly (a 15 should last 7% longer than a 14, just because each tooth engages the chain 7% less often)

> The chain has more clearance against the swing arm.

It would be worse because everything is bigger and heavier.

Of all of this, the improvement you would notice most is likely the longer sprocket life.

If you change one tooth on the front sprocket, it's like changing almost 4 on the rear, depending which way you go. I would just go get the 51 tooth sprocket and call it good, the difference you'll notice on the bike is too small to tell for mere mortals.

Something else your friend didn't tell you is that if you add that many teeth (1 up front & 6 in the back), you'll have to buy a new chain because it will be too short.

I've made one of those as well. It's pretty simple actually, and it's useful for comparison, but not for calculating true top speed. The "paper" speed that you calculate in that way assumes that you have the power to reach a particular RPM in high gear, and that the tire won't slip. The first assumption is often invalid, and the second one always is.

Still fun to do, though, and like I said, it makes it much easier to compare the effect of gearing changes.