HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
columbusXR

650R water pump leak

6 posts in this topic

Anybody out there have a problem with the front (drain) bolt - the one with the copper sealing washer - on the water pump housing leak?? I have tried cleaning it, applying appropriate torque, etc to get to seal, but it has this very slow ongoing leak from around the bolt head. No cracks on the housing and I have replaced the internal O-rings. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

No problems on my '00 650R. Nor have I ever heard of such a leak. Buy a new copper washer and try it? Or maybe put a single layer of teflon tape on the threads?

I've never had mine off, But if the copper washer is a sealing washer I would use some aviation sealer on the copper gasket..Even if you put a new gasket on it....You can pick the stuff up at any auto parts store...

Try annealing the copper gasket before you buy a new one, - remove the copper gasket, heat it cherry red and dunck it in cold water - this will make it soft again and give you the best chance of sealing

Anybody out there have a problem with the front (drain) bolt - the one with the copper sealing washer ... Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Nope. Why did you take the pump off?

23403328-M.jpg

Nope, I have mine out several times flushing and replacing the radiators and hoses. Using proper torque and a new washer should fix the prob. Just the slightest crack on mine and she starts to drip fluid. Also check to see if the raised boss has "burr" in it that keeps the washer from sealing flat.