99 WR 400 jetting (again)

Sorry to bother everyone with this old saw BUT...I have a problem and no matter how many post's I read I cannot solve it!

My 99 WR which is stock apart from an E series with 12 disc's in and a quiet core due to noise issue's (young kids ) has a Massive hesitation from a steady throttle i.e. when you snap it open for a ditch etc it bogs, dies then pick's up like a good un! If you roll the throttle then no problem. The exhaust seems to get VERY HOT very quickly.

I have checked the APJ timing and duration and I am just missing the slide and a duration of approx 0.75 sec's give or take.

The main jet is a 172 and the needle is stock as an OBDTM on clip 4 NO idea though about pilot etc.

I need some ideas where to start cos I dont know nothin...but I 'm willing to learn from those who do

many thanks

Carb; 150MJ, 160MAJ,EMM-clip 4, 38PJ, 55PA(J)Screw, PS 1.5 and no APJ!!!

Guy,

This is what the Taffster settled on. Missle from Switzerland is using these settings and is impressed. There is a slight lean spot, but he working with it. I know this is a GIANT leap of faith, considering everything has changed.

I do not know if Taff is de-octopused, or how that will effect jetting.

I do know our semi retired other Carb Guru, James Dean, is intrigued with these settings.

I am using an EMN needle right now. My main air jet SEEMS to large (#220) even w/ my 170 main jet.

Hopefully one of those guys can help you out here!

Guy: You and I are running the basically the same setup. I am doing some fine tuning on my jetting tomorrow. What I have now works with the air box cover ON. But I want to remove it. Keep an eye on my other post "More changes to Come" that is where I will be posting my change data. You can e-mail me off line and I can assist you with other mods you can do to your 99 that will make it a fire breathing dragon.

Bonzai ?

? OK people thanks for that....if I leave it in a higher gear ie 3rd at walking pace then snap the throttle it just bogs and wont pick up at all now is this a sign of rich or weak ? should I raise or lower the needle?

I feel a headache coming on...perhaps I'll take up Knitting!

:D

OK....... Anyone with any helpful hints on knitting for Guy. ? Sorry Guy I could not resist, you are in good hands here -- be strong and put the knitting needles down. Also, make sure you are using the correct jetting needle, not a knitting needle in your Carb. :D

Pete

? Thanks for that Pete...Phew that was close... I nearly dropped a stitch there LOL :D

Right next instalment..... I have taken the needle to clip 2 and there is an improvement... also remove the airbox lid..again an improvement so I conclude that the bike is jetted too rich stock for a UK bike (99) is 168 and I'm on a 172 (came with the bike !) so I have ordered a 170 and a 168 should be here early next week so I will try that......Also I hace checked the needle again and it is a OBTDXM not a DTM.

IF anyone thinks I'm doing wrong then please please post and tell me...I am a Numpty where jetting is concerned, this is my first foray into the Dark world of jets, tubes, rich weak etc etc!

cheers

Guy

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: Guy ]

Right I spent this afternoon with the carb in bits and the settings are as follows :-

needle.....DXM

clip........2

MJ.........172

PAJ.........75

MAJ.........200

PJ..........62

SJ..........45

pilot screw 2 turns out

This is how I got the bike and not what I have done to it!

Does this sound about right for a UK bike?

I know the MJ is out it should be a 168 as stock and the clip should be 4 but I can find no settings for the other jets in my manual

cheers

Guy

Hi James,

Yes I am counting the grooves from the top, when my jets arrive on Tues, I will be trying them out and I will post back then....

Would the pilot screw being so far out (2 v's 1 1/4 turns) have any major effect??

? YES!!!!! success....having returned the MJ to the stock 168 and the PS to 1 1/4 it is like a different bike...

2nd run.... raised the needle to #5 even better! :D now it wheelies off the throttle in 3rd...

5th still a little breathless, so I am assuming it is a little lean, so as per JD's post I will try #6 on the needle, I have also removed the airbox lid, so I think it will need to move a clip..

but what a difference it has made :D:D

I began to think I'd bought a lemon, but not so!

Many thanks to all of you who took the time to reply it is much appreciated

One happy boy! :D:D

? Thanks Pete :D Raised the needle to clip #6 tonight, even better still!

I think when the W/K'nd gets here I may even try #7 :D

I have perfected the art of carb removal in about 5 mins thanks to JD and Taffy, I havn't moved the top engine mount, doesn't seem ness, just undo the cables at the throttle and Bob's yer Mother's Brother!!!(that may catch a few of you out HE HE! :D )

cheers

Guy