What Is The Function Of This Bolt?

I'm going to install a little "L" shaped bracket to hold the infamous breather plug in place. I'm planning on using the bolt around the corner from the plug to hold the bracket. It's right next to where the plug is on the right side of the cylinder. I just want to know if it's ok to loosen it and install the bracket under it. Am I correct in thinking the plug is where the decompression thing used to be on older bikes?

That bolt is there to hold in the decompression assy on the pre' 03- '04 models. Be very careful when tightening this bolt since the hole is shallow and has very few threads. There have been numerous cases of people stripping the threads out of the head. My advice is to use loctite and don't get too carried away when tightening it.

Yes there is oil behind it which is why it has a copper washer. Basically it's a hole through to the top of the head. I would definitely use blue loctite on it and if you use the copper washer it should not leak. Wouldn't it be easier to just pop for the $20 and buy the decomp plug? It's a very clean and reliable solution.

Wouldn't it be easier to just pop for the $20 and buy the decomp plug? It's a very clean and reliable solution.

Or go down to your local auto parts store and get a 18mm freeze plug for about a buck if you don't need the BLING factor.

Steve

Well, the bracket is on. The threads started to strip! I was using a little wrench and hardly cranked at all. Hopefully it will hold. I can't believe how easy it was to over tighten! Use caution if anyone else tries this. I used this method after reading someone else doing it on here, plus I had this really cool bracket to use.

Yes there is oil behind it which is why it has a copper washer. Basically it's a hole through to the top of the head. I would definitely use blue loctite on it and if you use the copper washer it should not leak. Wouldn't it be easier to just pop for the $20 and buy the decomp plug? It's a very clean and reliable solution.

If it has oil behind it the locktite will not work unless the threads are cleaned up real well.

Did you see the threaded hole above the decomp plug? Not on the side, but above the front area? There was nothing bolted there on my 2004.

No, I used the one on the side that already had a bolt in it. I didn't even see the one above until after I was done.

I stripped the first thread out of that hole on my bike too. The OEM bolt has an end that is specific for the plug and it only has a few threads so if you loose the first thread on the head, your are screwed. I got a longer bolt and groun the end to fit the bling decomp plug . This way I used all the threads that were still available. Lock tited it too