NMXRThumper

XR650L Head Bolt Torque

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2004 XR650L and I noticed he torqued the head bolts WAY wrong. It looks like he torqued one bolt then the other resulting in a crooked pull rather than a even one. Don't have my service manual yet so can someone give me the head bolt torque value to use? TIA, Thumper

Whats up guy. Here you go.

6 total bolts at a torque value of 26 ft-lb. Says to add oil to the threads and flange surface. :thumbsup:

Use oil or antizieze.

I torqued mine up to 31ft-lbs the second time I did a head job on my 650L. The first time was at 26, and they managed to loosen, and the head gaskett blew out one day near where I worked. That was 6 years ago.

Thanks guy for the tips and torque. How about I push my luck and get a exhaust header bolt torque value as well? Which maintenance manual would you recommend getting? Where's the best place (cheapest) to buy it?

Thanks again, Bucky in NM

Thanks guy for the tips and torque. How about I push my luck and get a exhaust header bolt torque value as well? Which maintenance manual would you recommend getting? Where's the best place (cheapest) to buy it?

Thanks again, Bucky in NM

12 ft-lbs should do ya. I tightened mine up with the calibrated elbow to "good -n- tight ft-lbs".

Try ebay for the manual, its the green one. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I used to try the ole "good-n-tight" feel until I broke an engine mounting bolt on a bandit 1200 I had a few years ago. It ended up costing about $50 to have it cut out. I bought a torque wrench soon after. I have to justify the $65 for the wrench anyway. Thanks again, Bucky

On 9/7/2006 at 7:29 AM, NMXRThumper said:

Hey guys,
I just bought a 2004 XR650L and I noticed he torqued the head bolts WAY wrong. It looks like he torqued one bolt then the other resulting in a crooked pull rather than a even one. Don't have my service manual yet so can someone give me the head bolt torque value to use? TIA, Thumper

Hey, you can get all Honda XR650L (and other XR model) torques specs here: http://honda-specs.com/honda-xr-torque-specs/

Yeah but maybe he was still waiting.i`m sure he will be pleased..

:lol:

B

1 person likes this