HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xr650rkyle

xr650r fork spring noise

10 posts in this topic

I just had a local shop install a new set of eilbach .47 fork springs, along with new seals and fork oil. But now they sound like an old creeky bed when i work the forks up and down. I have not ridden the bike yet on the dirt with the new springs, but they did not make that kinda noise before!

Anybody know whats up with this?

Solutions?

Thanks Kyle :thumbsup:

I still have my stock spring and I don't believe they were teflon coated..

Just a matter of the fork oil splashing on the upper part of springs.

Thank God I'm not the only one with creaky springs! I replaced my stockers with Race Tech 's and got the same noise. I thought I buggered it up some how :thumbsup: . I've been riding it and haven't noticed anything other than the noise.

What's wierd is I also have a xr600r with .47 springs, that time from race tech and they don't make any noise at all!

This time Precision Concepts installed the fork spring set of new .47 eilbachs. I sure hope it goes away...It just sounds kinda cheap...like a chinese bike or something!

I just had a local shop install a new set of eilbach .47 fork springs, along with new seals and fork oil. But now they sound like an old creeky bed when i work the forks up and down. I have not ridden the bike yet on the dirt with the new springs, but they did not make that kinda noise before!

Solutions?

Try loosening up the triple clamp pinch bolts and if you or someone else didn't........TORQUE them to factory spec. Never lubricate the threads either. How do I know that A VERY FEW inch pounds will make or break the sound? It just happened to me! Precision Concepts builds my suspension. When I got it back from the last service and was installing the forks, I didn't like the way the pinch bolts were "creaking" approaching torque (248 in. lbs. I think). I put a TINY amount of liquid teflon under the head of the bolts and they went back in smooth as silk.

BAD IDEA! What happened was even though my torque wrench was set properly, the factory torque spec is DRY! The pinch on the tubes was too tight because the lubricant let the bolts get tighter than they should have been before the wrench clicked off.

I would have never though so! This bolt torque spec is critical. My old bed spring noise was gone instantly.

Solutions?

Had the same thing happen to me, after having Precision Concepts do the "works" on my 650R (included adding the new Eibach springs). I actually talked with Bob Bell, and he stated that it was normal. After a few rides, the sound was gone. I would believe that after a few rides, yours will seat, and all will be fine...