Yet another 06 450 WRvsCFRX thread, can ya help?

I am going to purchase a 450 enduro bike. I am having a very hard time choosing. I have a YZ450 04 already for my track bike and I want a wide ratio transmission. Because of end of season I can get WR 5799 and the CRFX 5899.

For me, some of the parts will switch on the Yamahas for a temp extra parts bike. I like the aluminum frame of the Honda but I was reading it was heavier. The WR has a cool enduro computer, how useful is it and do you really use it?

I go to Moab and to the San Rafael Swell, I know that first gear ratio is lower on the WR and 5th is higher as well, this would seem to be better if you geared it down to ride real slow (like five miles of hell trail) but still hop on a fire road without ringing the engine out all the time.

I have been reading the WR lacks performance and you have to modify it. Is removing the baffle something easy (as screw or we talking drilling it out) What exactly is the grey wire( tells ignition you are in first gear and retards the timing for first gear?) If this is very involved this would push me to the Honda.

How easy is it to street legalize ? (and increase output power of the headlight)

Does the bike need to be rejeted for altitude (I live at 6k and ride to 10k) or do they do that at the shop?

I am purchasing this Thursday for a trip to Moab the following week, any info would be appreciated

considering this a yama thread )

i ds mine and the yama is more dependable i am 5 11 200 pounds and i love it in the tight stuff now that i got used to it.......

and the mods if thats what you want to call it just opens it it up

only thing i did was cut idle screw (5 min) and put a big gun on

i like the bottom end torque so no grey wire

i left the airbox alone..for the .2 hp its not worth the work

now the fuel screw may be a good idea bc of the elevation change(not hard to do) there is a brass plug. insert a sheet metal screw and it pull out with pliers add the new one and good to go

i have the stock jetting with no problems

colorado i think all you do is have an adjustable hi low beam and brake switch and get it approved by the dmv (i have read elsewear non dot tires are ok)

Both bikes are great! That being said, If you already have a YZ450 why in the world would you not get a WR450 (of course we are biased) you will have interchangeability with all your service parts. Levers, oil filters, Oil (two kinds of motor oil on CRF) Clutch parts, brake pads, Chain and sprockets, Carburetor parts(jets) , Valve shims (the Honda shims fit and offer finer adjustment) Spark plugs, Cables,Wheels, Radiators, I could go on and on (but i won't)

Similar riding characteristics when switching between bikes.

Get Real!

I go to Moab and to the San Rafael Swell, I know that first gear ratio is lower on the WR and 5th is higher as well, this would seem to be better if you geared it down to ride real slow (like five miles of hell trail) but still hop on a fire road without ringing the engine out all the time.

Having ridden these very same areas on a WR 450, I will tell you this much:

Gearing down is a necessity for the 5MOH trail, but you will not have much top end in 5th gear even with a wide ratio. The WR has plenty of power once you do the free mods. If you really want a perfect bike for those areas, your in the wrong forum - those are called trials bikes.

As far as the difference between the WR and the CRFX - choose your favorite color and ride it. As has been pointed out already, there is something to be said for interchangability of parts with your new ride and your current bike. Other than that, what do you expect out of these machines? They are heavier than what you currently ride, but you don't have to kick start them. When you are on the nasty off camber hills, rocks, or fallen logs - the e start is a life saver. The low first gear is your best friend when the going gets technical, and the light is the best accessory ever when you find yourself running out of day light. Both the CRFX and the WR have them, so you can't go wrong with either one.

I have(or had) each of the bikes you are interested in. I currently ride an 06 WR450F and love it. Last year, we bought my wife a crf250X(only because the wr250 was red sticker). SHe loves the bike, but it is a POS. Already had cam issues and it burns oil like mad. My wife is a good rider, but she never winds it out or has even seen 5th gear! Same for my 05 crf 450x....total POS. I will never buy a honda again. I hated my crf 450 so much(valve issues, burned oil, felt heavy, etc) I GAVE it to my brother who is a die hard honda guy. Dont waste your time with a Honda.

Posner

richard,

You'll like the WR. I used to be red, now I'm blue!

Easy to plate in Colorado - just the rear brake light switch and dual-star low profile mirrors. The stock light is 55W and is quite bright. Paper work is a snap, but Colorado plate ownership tax is over $100 the first year, then decreases.

The dealer can do most of the mods to undo the Cali restrictions. Make sure you do the AIS removal, open up the airbox per instructions, get an adjustable fuel screw, and get a Promoto billet exhaust insert for better flow.

I find that the stock jetting 165/45 (not the ones 168/48 in the GYTR AIS removal kit) is fine for 5000 to 10000 ft.

Honda burns oil. My friend has an 05 CRF and I an 04 WR. He has 1/8 the mile/hours that I do. He replaces missing oil after every ride, I add oil when I change my oil, about every 6 months! I ride a lot, he rides a little.

Other issues: chains and sprockets. He has replaced his chain, front and rear sprockets. I'm riding with my stock DID chain and sprockets.

One thing he admits, Honda uses CHEAP parts and Yamaha uses proven parts. Things like titanium foot pegs, Excel rims, DID chain, Renthal bars and titanium valves but Honda does give you Renthal bars.

They are not comparable. If you just look at the after market costs you're going to spend another $500 just to make them equal, except you still have those oil and valve issues with red.

BTW, this is a WR forum. If you wanted political correctness like "choose your favorite color and ride it" then don't ask what we blues feel about our preferred choice or expect our replies to be lame like that.

and yes it would be interesting to see what would happen if this thread was posted in the Honda forum - not that i personally have anything against Honda's but the CRF-X really has a long way to go before it proves itself (and i'm sure that there'll be numerous upgrades along the way) - i wish them well in their quest to catch up to the 'blue'

Honda burns oil. My friend has an 05 CRF and I an 04 WR. He has 1/8 the mile/hours that I do. He replaces missing oil after every ride, I add oil when I change my oil, about every 6 months! I ride a lot, he rides a little.

Other issues: chains and sprockets. He has replaced his chain, front and rear sprockets. I'm riding with my stock DID chain and sprockets.

One thing he admits, Honda uses CHEAP parts and Yamaha uses proven parts. Things like titanium foot pegs, Excel rims, DID chain, Renthal bars and titanium valves but Honda does give you Renthal bars.

They are not comparable. If you just look at the after market costs you're going to spend another $500 just to make them equal, except you still have those oil and valve issues with red.

BTW, this is a WR forum. If you wanted political correctness like "choose your favorite color and ride it" then don't ask what we blues feel about our preferred choice or expect our replies to be lame like that.

Burning oil is not normal for those bikes. As for the chains, sprockets, pretty much all jap bikes come with crap for chains and sprockets. If your still running the stocker your lucky, anal about cleaning it or not running it hard.

The WR does not come stock with Titanium foot pegs.

They are both good bikes but I doubt anyone but a pro racer could tell the difference and most everyone will customize the suspension on either to suit their needs.

The biggest issue with both bikes, or any 4-stroke off roader is to use good oil, change it often and be sure to keep the air filter clean and oiled. Let dirt into either bike and your toast.

Make no mistake, neither is a MX bike so be sure to get a bike to match your riding.

Like he said, pick the color/style you like, ride it and don't look back.

Burning oil is not normal for those bikes. As for the chains, sprockets, pretty much all jap bikes come with crap for chains and sprockets. If your still running the stocker your lucky, anal about cleaning it or not running it hard.

The WR does not come stock with Titanium foot pegs.

They are both good bikes but I doubt anyone but a pro racer could tell the difference and most everyone will customize the suspension on either to suit their needs.

The biggest issue with both bikes, or any 4-stroke off roader is to use good oil, change it often and be sure to keep the air filter clean and oiled. Let dirt into either bike and your toast.

Make no mistake, neither is a MX bike so be sure to get a bike to match your riding.

Like he said, pick the color/style you like, ride it and don't look back.

obviously you haven't taken the time to look at your 06...or you don't have one.

My two buddies bought Honda's while I bought a WR. My one friend's valves are already making wierd tapping sounds like it already needs an adjustment. Mine is still running like new with twice the miles.

The Honda's burn oil like a two stroke! I never have to add oil between changes. They also have to hassle with two different kinds of oil.

If you already have a YZ get the WR so you can use the same spare parts. A spare lever can save a weekend.

The Free mods take a couple of hours to do. Just have the dealer do it before you pick it up as part of the deal.

Either way you go have fun and be safe!

The YZ has Ti footpegs, not the WR. Don't you hate that feeling when you sarcastically correct someone and then find out you're the one who's mistaken...SC

I stand corrected on the pegs...but I don't see a counter argument to the burning oil...just validation from other observers of the same issues. Also, I do ride hard and my DID chain and stock sprockets don't need replacing.

I've never had to replace a chain on any one of my four WRs, They've been better than expected.. I'm not cheerleading Yamahas but I just thought I would point that out.. Indeed, the CRF450X is a great bike..

Just to chime in. I ride an '01WR426 with several thousand miles on it and it still has the original chain and sprocket. I think it's insane! I had to constantly replace my chain and sprockets on my KTM somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles. BTW, I'm 6'3", 225lbs +/- and am really heavy on the throttle. The WR is the most reliable dirtbike ever!!! ?