Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boston Mangler

87 XL600, Estimated Value?? What to look for?

8 posts in this topic

ok, friend of a friend has an 87 XL600 that he is looking to get rid of. it has been sitting for awhile, says it runs Awesome but is a bitch to start. appears in good shape and has some new stuff on it (cosmetic only)

i am thinking of this possibly as a beat around bike to get back into riding (after a 8 year hiatis) before i jump on something new and much more powerful, then i will upgrade and use this bike as a spare or loan it to friends

my questions are, are there any known issues with these? are that drastically different from the XR600's? i am not seeing much in the way of aftermarket support for these (cant even find a large gas tank)

i can probably score it for $500-800 or so. is it worth it if it needs a new stator (or something like that)?

also, what year engines are swappable with minimal work?

any info or insight would be great

thanks a lot

kevin

Those are advertised for $1500 in the southern end of the state. I've even seen people asking $2000!

The suspension is limited when compared to a XR600. However, they do great on paved or dirt roads. It really depends on what kind of riding you want to do. If you really want to do single track dirt riding, then get it, fix it, and sell it. Take that cash and get a true dirt bike. A 91 or later XR600 is much better suspension wise.

The XL600's are known to be a bitch to start. Before replacing the stator, rule out everything else. A one size larger pilot jet can sometimes help the starting issue a lot. It's that darn dual carb setup.

WoW

Thanks for the reply. I will take a close look at it and see what i can do.

I mainly want it just to futz around on and get used to riding again (having been on a bike in years). I dont want to jump right on a CRF450X and kill myself! :thumbsup:

I am hoping to land a job less then 3 miles from my house so it would be a cool little commuter as well. Since its old and kinda fugly i wouldnt be so concerned about it getting ripped off.

Dual Carbs huh? I had that setup on an old 84 XR250R that i had. Never had to mess with them, but that bike was a workhorse and wouldnt die!

And i can get this for cheap, i might just fix it up and keep it for a bit.

Are there large tanks available? Can the suspension be upgraded if i so choose? I am 6'3" and 250lbs so it will most likely need to be stiffened! :applause:

Any info on these beasts would be great!

Thanks a bunch

Kevin

Those are advertised for $1500 in the southern end of the state. I've even seen people asking $2000!

The suspension is limited when compared to a XR600. However, they do great on paved or dirt roads. It really depends on what kind of riding you want to do. If you really want to do single track dirt riding, then get it, fix it, and sell it. Take that cash and get a true dirt bike. A 91 or later XR600 is much better suspension wise.

The XL600's are known to be a bitch to start. Before replacing the stator, rule out everything else. A one size larger pilot jet can sometimes help the starting issue a lot. It's that darn dual carb setup.

XL's are pussycats to start. Low compression motors I think. Much easier than XR's.

XL's are pussycats to start. Low compression motors I think. Much easier than XR's.

Thanks, i think this one may have some issues from sitting so long

Well obviously, get some new fuel in it. Clean the carbs. But as far as starting it is concerned, valve adjustment will have an impact on that as well.

Once its fresh, and adjusted correctly, its jst a matter of getting used to its starting routine.

Usually if you turn the idle screw up a bit, choke it(if its a cold motor) bring it just past TDC on compression stroke, then kick it like you mean it.

It'll fire, if not repeat. If the stator is failing you'll almost have to pull it with a truck and bump start it.

If its mechanically sound it will start in short order.

That depends on your definition of easy. Its best done with the seat and tank removed.

You pull the four chrome caps off of the rocker box, get the motor to TDC, and reach thru the holes that the chrome caps came off of (with feeler gauge), and check the clearance between the rocker arm and the tip of the valve stem.

Then adjust set screws in the ends of the rocker arms if nessasary.

If you end up buying the bike, post back.