HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WFOracer

06 YZ450f Scott's oil filter question? (pics)

12 posts in this topic

Check out these pictures of my scott' stainless oil filter. That little rubber gasket on the top of it is starting to fall apart. It seems like everytime I take it out, there are more chunks missing from it. Anyone else run into this? I am running Bel-Ray Thumper oil. Sorry, my camera wouldn't (can't) focus that close, so they are a little blurry.

bike018.jpg

bike017.jpg

I haven't had any such problems running a Scotts , but you should contact customer support using the link on This Page for a replacement, and find out why it could be happening.

You can replace the rubber top - Ace Hardware has the exact replcement -

glue on with 3m or other adhesive.

That one looks like it is falling apart - mine has not done this but does regularly unglue itself.

glue on with 3m or other adhesive.

Really? Glue? Wouldn't that just end up disolved in your engine oil...or disolving during cleaning?

Any swelling and/or softening of an elastomer is typicaly caused by chemical attack. Some electrical contact or carb cleaners can raise hell with elastomers, especially if the part is left to soak in it.

The Bel Ray oil you use is not the problem.

I use bel-ray contact cleaner to spray it out.
I wouldn't use contact cleaner. That could be the problem. Use carb cleaner, such as Berryman's B12, instead.

David,

Thanks for the tip. Where within the store do you find the seals at Ace? My oldest one is pretty squashed.

I wouldn't use contact cleaner. That could be the problem. Use carb cleaner, such as Berryman's B12, instead.

David,

Thanks for the tip. Where within the store do you find the seals at Ace? My oldest one is pretty squashed.

I go to the area where all the different types of specialty screws etc.. are....corks, rubber stoppers....(I use these for exhaust stoppers)