Liquelo

Talk me into an XR650R

25 posts in this topic

Vitals:

52 yrs old

5'10.5"

32" inseam

Mission:

Ride mostly in sand washes through out Ocotillo Wells, (the ocassional trip to Superstition Mt. from Ocotillo Wells?) Would like to hear from those familiar with this trek.

As I understand from reading through several posts at this and other discussion forums the XR650R does a good job of handling sand washes once up on plane. Opinions?

My current ride is an '03 XR400 Gordon Moded, a good bike but I'd like a change.

Thanks.

Liquelo

I ride in that area almost every weekend, 16k on the 650 in the past 3 seasons. It's a good bike for the desert.

Your looking at the right bike mine powers thru the AZ pee gravel and soft sand washes with authority, I sit back go up 1 gear higher than seems right and it gets on top in the mid range then the front end gets lite, just a little body english and it's a nice ride.

I used to race as well & always had 2 strokes. Thought nothing would touch them, even in the desert. Got a dual sported XR650R & tried in at the local ORV. Very choppy woop sections & sandwashes. I could not believe how well this bike handles that type of terrain. What surprised me the most was how I did not notice the weight of this bike in the fast stuff. The other surprise was making small changes in direction over very rough terrain at speed. That & the fact that I was less fatigued during these fast sections. Mine has stiffer fork springs & the stock rear. I'm 5'10", 165# with 31" inseam as well. Try it, you'll be hooked.

Liquelo,

If you haven't already, rent and watch the "Dust to Glory" DVD. That'll get you fired up for a 650.

Liquelo,

If you haven't already, rent and watch the "Dust to Glory" DVD. That'll get you fired up for a 650.

No doubt. Great flix all around. Be sure and check out the bonus material with the camera guy riding a 650 at 115mph filming with an on board camera.

No doubt. Great flix all around. Be sure and check out the bonus material with the camera guy riding a 650 at 115mph filming with an on board camera.

doh! I've watched that thing 3 times now but never bothered to go to the bonus material :thumbsup:

I grew up riding that same area, now I am in the High Dez. The BRP is the coolest bike I have owned. I would set the suspension to your body weight and most other thumps had a taller seat hight. The other choice is a WR 450, good at 3 to 93 MPH, e start and great ergos. I plan on a WR for D37 racing and I will always have a BRP in the stable for everything else.

I've posted this before.... but here goes again.... Isn't this the cutest widdle

bike you've ever seen???

There, that should convince you :thumbsup:

Front40.JPG

I ride that area as well and open country like that is definitely 650R territory. It would not seem as though a big heavy fourstroke would work well in the washes, but as long as it's not too tight and will allow gears 3 to 5, you will definitely appreciate the difference over the XR400. Much like waterskiing behind an overpowered boat. Would not trade it for another bike in the washes.

I've posted this before.... but here goes again.... Isn't this the cutest widdle

bike you've ever seen???

Front40.JPG

Here is what they look like with 20 000 of the most abusive miles on them.

89089074-L.jpg

bike you've ever seen???

Front40.JPG

Man you Texans are lucky dogs. We can't dual sport ours. You don't know how much it breaks my heart every time I see a dual sported one. In my opinion they are the perfect dual sport bike. Nice.

Man you Texans are lucky dogs. We can't dual sport ours. You don't know how much it breaks my heart every time I see a dual sported one. In my opinion they are the perfect dual sport bike. Nice.

just buy one from out of state that has a street title. Had the same problem in Wisconsin, but once there is a title issued, it's all rubber-stamped, no questions asked, no inspection.

Vitals:

52 yrs old

5'10.5"

32" inseam

I'm suprised nobody has brought up the weight of these bikes. 310 lbs (fully loaded w/ dez tank) is a hell of a lot of machine to pick up. He's 51 years old. How much do you weigh? Are you in good physical shape? You better be because if you ever lay this thing down on the side of a steep hill then you are going to utter more swear words than you thought you knew. That and the flooding when it goes down (unless you have a edelbrock ). It's a BIG HEAVY BIKE so be prepared for a serious workout..

Now with that being said this bike rocks for Ocatillo! I pretty much mostly ride there or Baja on mine. It loves high speed whoops and washes. Make sure you get a street legal one because they are a blast on the street.

Good Luck!

Vitals:

52 yrs old

5'10.5"

32" inseam

I'm suprised nobody has brought up the weight of these bikes. 310 lbs (fully loaded w/ dez tank) is a hell of a lot of machine to pick up. He's 51 years old. How much do you weigh? Are you in good physical shape? You better be because if you ever lay this thing down on the side of a steep hill then you are going to utter more swear words than you thought you knew. That and the flooding when it goes down (unless you have a edelbrock ). It's a BIG HEAVY BIKE so be prepared for a serious workout..

Now with that being said this bike rocks for Ocatillo! I pretty much mostly ride there or Baja on mine. It loves high speed whoops and washes. Make sure you get a street legal one because they are a blast on the street.

Good Luck!

I'm 56 years old, 5'8 1/2" (gotta have that 1/2") with a 30-31 inseam. I have had to pick this bike up through the years though very rare to dump it anymore. Your right about laying the bike down on the steep side of a hill. It is a real pain to pick up. Not too bad when it goes down and stays on the trail.

The Edelbrock is great but before the Edelbrock I was a man who knew the proper procedure and followed them religiously.

There are better bikes for beginners but if you cut your teeth on this you can ride just about anything. I cut my dirt biking teeth on a KX500 on tight trails which I do not recommend to anyone as a starter bike. From there I went straight to the XR650R and rode it for years in the tight mountain single track trails. Then the 525EXC and finally the KDX220. I have kept all these bikes and they are basically purpose built bikes now. The KX500 and XR650R are my desert machines. I save my 525 and 220 for the forested mountain single track trails. It's nice to have the right tool for each job.

:thumbsup:

Ah, in reality the bike isn't that hard to pick up. Using both hands on one grip provides a lot of leverage. I've seen the little 140 pounders pick these things up no problems.