HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blue450frider

Stripped thread in chian guide

5 posts in this topic

Today i went to change the swing arm chain guide and when I took one of the bottom bolts out it came out will some metal on it ( being the thread from the nut that is weld into the swing arm) (also i have never taken that bolt out yet so it came from the factory. So when i tried to thread the bolt back in it was terribly stripped and now it will just barly hold it in place. I am gunna try running a tape through it and see if that might work. Does anyone have anyother suggestions ????

Simple trick is to take a paper clip and run it through with the bolt, the bolt will cause the clip to creat a spring shape inside the hole and hold in place, not sure how big the thread is, I have use this trick before and held perfect. It actually backs out when bolt is remove, and just put another paperclip, or tape and get new bolt!

Good luck!!!!

1> Use a Time Sert

2> Use a Heli-Coil

3> Re-thread by drilling and tapping to the next largest size.

Each is nearly as simple as running the bolt in with tape, and a much better fix.

1> Use a Time Sert

2> Use a Heli-Coil

3> Re-thread by drilling and tapping to the next largest size.

Each is nearly as simple as running the bolt in with tape, and a much better fix.

Do it right the first time..Youll be happier because you did..trust me.

I did the same thing on the top of the swingarm. I simply drilled it out, and went to the next largest Metric size tap, and replaced it with a metric bolt from Lowe's . Works great , and is easy to do. I don't recollect the new size off the top of my head though.