HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
02YZ426

2006 Spark Plug Changing

9 posts in this topic

I decided to change the plug today for the first time, and what a pain that was! The boot came off fine, but holy shit, how do you get it back on there?? I finally took the lower rubber part of the boot off and slid it into the head just resting on the top of the plug, then there was enough space to get the rest of the boot in. I hope the two pieces snapped back together.... it felt like they did, and it seems tight. Don't really know if that was the best way, but it worked. I'm glad you don't have to remove the seat and tank anymore, but this new boot seems to be almost as much as a pain. I wonder if the 426 boot would work in place of this fancy new hi tech thing that they have now :thumbsup:

If you're pulling the plug with the tank on, you're making it difficult. It's a surprise to me that it can be done at all.

The 426 boot won't work; the boots from '03 up have the coil integrated.

Your supposed to still take the tank off on the new 450?? LOL! Maybe thats why I had so much trouble.

just curious any special reason why you wanted to change the plug?

Seemed like it was getting a little fussy starting. Changed the plug and its good to go :thumbsup:

Seemed like it was getting a little fussy starting. Changed the plug and its good to go :thumbsup:

what color did the plug look like? white and clean or dark and carboned?

what color did the plug look like? white and clean or dark and carboned?

It was a tad white on the electrode and the rest was black and sutty.... not terrible or anything but It was time for it to be changed. The bike has probably 50 hrs on it now.