xr400 vs xr650

o man.. you guys are making my decision really hard... i am going to be going through alot of ruts and through creeks.. and i think the lighter xr would be easier to handle.. i dont mind sacraficing power

Let me explod a myth, first the XR400R is only about 20 pounds lighter than the XR650R. Now, if you buy a XR650R and take everything off you don;t need and ride trails with half a tank of gas you are real close to the whight of a 400R, and have about 30 percent more power. This will make the 650R feel lighter, especially if you install a fork brace and bittlett tripples. That makes them steer lighter. So, all in all make your decision on power requirements instead of weight....

Let me explod a myth, first the XR400R is only about 20 pounds lighter than the XR650R. Now, if you buy a XR650R and take everything off you don;t need and ride trails with half a tank of gas you are real close to the whight of a 400R, and have about 30 percent more power.....
Quite true, and something that often excapes the arm chair "spec-sheet" experts! The 650R caries it's weight very well. I was amazed at how much lighter "feeling" it was over my old 600R (despite being almost the same weight) while after swapping rides (temporarilly!) DRZ 400 and older WR riding buddies have commented it felt no heavier then their mounts....but motor wize felt like a dragster in comparison! In any case, none of these bikes are lightweights in the technical single track stuff...but then a 125 or 200 is no XR in cross country work! Choice always depends on what conditions you're riding and bike selection is always a compromise. :thumbsup:

I owned an XR650R for 4 years and put about 9300 (mostly dirt) miles on it before it was stolen. I loved that bike except for some of the reasons ej67ss mentioned earlier. I'm 5' 7" and 150 lbs, so when that bike got off center in the tight nasty's, I'd let her go down. After long 180+ mile rides, I would be beat from trying to muscle it around all day. I always noticed the weight while riding. However, it has plenty of power and torque, which is good and bad depending on where you are riding.

I now have an XR400R. I decided on this after riding my brother's XR400. His has been re-jetted with the stock exhaust tip opened up and the airbox mod. It runs fine, but as expected, it didn't have the power of the 650. Knowing this, I opted for the 400 anyway, mostly for other reasons. I am extremely happy with the bike I picked up. It has the jetting and airbox mods, UNI air filter and a White Brothers E-series exhaust. All I did was take off the headers and grind down the welds. This bike runs circles around my brother's. It almost feels like my 650 did. I can't say enough about how great this bike runs.