HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troubledwater

hard starting 87 xr 600

5 posts in this topic

over the past few years it has became very difficult to start. I took the carb all apart and seemed a little better. Some times pops like old gas but is not. Thought maybe the ignition was weak? A couple of times i had someone pull me until it started to fire. Usually longer than 100yards before it would even try.would an aftermarket ign ensure easier starting? Any suggestions on where to start. If the compression is low would it act like this?

It will be your stator.

Thats an old XR you have there - well known issue.

Try a new stator and you'll be apples!!

I work on bikes and the most common problem XR6's (especially the older '85-'90 versions) is with the exciter coil on the stator that supplies the voltage for spark. Remove the spark plug and make sure the spark will jump a distance of at least 6-7mm, (have someone else crank the bike over) if it doesnt its highly likely you'll need to get the stator rewound. Good luck.

Assuming it's the stator, you have a few options. The easiest is a new stator. For used, go to ebay. Any XR600 stator will work. For like $130 you can get a rewound one from Ricky Stator. There are a few others, but they are a little more. That will have the added benefit of 200 watts of juice for a really bright headlight.

If you are willing to do the work yourself, you can rewind it yourself for just the cost of some wire. Maybe $10 to $20. When mine failed that's what I did. That was over 2 years ago and it's still working. Use the search feature as I have posted about it here several times before.

Here is a write up on it http://www.crustyquinns.com/tech/stator.html

Use this for an ebay search

(xr60*,xr 60*) stator