HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BergArabia

First kick after 4 months

3 posts in this topic

Well I am a bit ashamed to admit it but I haven't ridden the YZ for about 4 months.

It is just too hot to ride it here any time other than very early in the morning and it has been like that since may.

Well I have a day off tomorrow. I asked the wife if she wanted to do anything. No she said. Her mistake..

So I thought maybe a very early morning ride would be in order.

But I thought I better test the bike out before I try getting up so early. (I'll have to be up by 3:30 to be in the desert by 5 am.

Anyways, I turned on the petcock, 3 good twists of the throttle to prime her, pulled out the choke and stood up to kick her over. To my surprise, first kick and she fired up. Died after a few seconds though. Several more kicks and I thought I'd try something different. Pushed the choke back in and pulled the hotstart. this time she fired up and ran perfectly.. I love that bike.

Now in defence I will say that I only use super petrol and I change oil, clean oil filter and air filter, wash the bike and lube the chain after every ride. But I read about petrol varnishing the carb and that had me worried.

On a side, there was a rather large puddle of petrol under the bike when I checked after it was running. Was that because of the throttle twists I did at the start? I have never done this 3 blips of the throttle thing before usually I just kick till it starts but this does seem to work, just wonder if I over did it or something?

My guess would be that it was caused when you blipped the throttle 3x. I have always read that you should never turn the throttle with the engine off. But lately, I here of more and more people using it to prime the bike?... Personally, I have never "primed" mine and I have never had problems cold starting.

...there was a rather large puddle of petrol under the bike when I checked after it was running. Was that because of the throttle twists I did at the start? I have never done this 3 blips of the throttle thing before usually I just kick till it starts but this does seem to work, just wonder if I over did it or something?
It was more likely that the tip of the float needle dried out and shrank some, or that a bit of varnish had formed on it from being stored for so long in such a cool climate. :thumbsup:

If it stops doing that, it's nothing to worry about.