First kick after 4 months

Well I am a bit ashamed to admit it but I haven't ridden the YZ for about 4 months.

It is just too hot to ride it here any time other than very early in the morning and it has been like that since may.

Well I have a day off tomorrow. I asked the wife if she wanted to do anything. No she said. Her mistake..

So I thought maybe a very early morning ride would be in order.

But I thought I better test the bike out before I try getting up so early. (I'll have to be up by 3:30 to be in the desert by 5 am.

Anyways, I turned on the petcock, 3 good twists of the throttle to prime her, pulled out the choke and stood up to kick her over. To my surprise, first kick and she fired up. Died after a few seconds though. Several more kicks and I thought I'd try something different. Pushed the choke back in and pulled the hotstart. this time she fired up and ran perfectly.. I love that bike.

Now in defence I will say that I only use super petrol and I change oil, clean oil filter and air filter, wash the bike and lube the chain after every ride. But I read about petrol varnishing the carb and that had me worried.

On a side, there was a rather large puddle of petrol under the bike when I checked after it was running. Was that because of the throttle twists I did at the start? I have never done this 3 blips of the throttle thing before usually I just kick till it starts but this does seem to work, just wonder if I over did it or something?

My guess would be that it was caused when you blipped the throttle 3x. I have always read that you should never turn the throttle with the engine off. But lately, I here of more and more people using it to prime the bike?... Personally, I have never "primed" mine and I have never had problems cold starting.

...there was a rather large puddle of petrol under the bike when I checked after it was running. Was that because of the throttle twists I did at the start? I have never done this 3 blips of the throttle thing before usually I just kick till it starts but this does seem to work, just wonder if I over did it or something?
It was more likely that the tip of the float needle dried out and shrank some, or that a bit of varnish had formed on it from being stored for so long in such a cool climate. :thumbsup:

If it stops doing that, it's nothing to worry about.